SASS Wire Forum

The Saga Of Left Eddie

Yul Lose

I live in a little unincorporated community in north San Diego county and we have a few individuals that really stand out and one of them is Left Eddie. When Eddie was in wood shop class in high school he was turning something on the lathe and it broke away from the chuck and struck him in the head resulting in an open skull fracture and significant brain damage. I tried to google the article that was published on him 12 or 15 years ago and didn’t have any success so most of what I’m telling you is memory and personal experience. He spent quite a bit of time in the hospital and went through many surgeries. He is functioning to a degree but unable to hold a job but that doesn’t stop him from being a live wire around town.  Whenever you see him he has a big smile on his face and he makes the rounds to our only deli, our only bank, our post office, etc. whenever he’s talking to someone he ends the conversation with “I love you”. Today as I was leaving the post office he was standing out in traffic stopping traffic on the road so the busy post office traffic could get out. Last week I was in the bank and he was in there and telling a joke “What do you call a bear with no teeth?” “A gummy bear”. He’s probably in his early 50’s now and since I moved here 26 years ago he hasn’t changed a bit.

Whenever I see him around our little town he brings a smile to my face. I was loading something at the hardware store one day and he came over and helped me with it and I didn’t even ask, he’s that kind of guy. My wife was at the nursery one day loading some plants and gardening stuff and he pitched right in on his own. Some people might be put off by Eddie but those of us who have been around awhile know what he’s about.

Had one like him, when I was the po-po for a small city, in the south bay area.

Called him 'Plaza Steve', a very kind person with some issues. He was in his mid 30's.

Steve would help folks load their cars and hold doors open for the gals and such. He lived 'on the street'.

Just never could find where-We didn't look that hard either.......LOL

I have to admit, that more than once I gave him a ride while 'on the job'.

He always said 'God-Bless' when I dropped him off.

Everyone at the station knew him-He would bring flowers into the station.

Sadly, one day a call went out of a TC with pedestrian involved.

I was the first on scene, it was Steve and he was DOA. Was NOT the drivers fault.....

Steve had no blood family we could find. Yet-he had one of the highest attended funerals I can remember.

That's when the term, "Angels walk among us" really sank in............

OLG

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Had one like him, when I was the po-po for a small city, in the south bay area.

Called him 'Plaza Steve', a very kind person with some issues. He was in his mid 30's.

Steve would help folks load their cars and hold doors open for the gals and such. He lived 'on the street'.

Just never could find where-We didn't look that hard either.......LOL

I have to admit, that more than once I gave him a ride while 'on the job'.

He always said 'God-Bless' when I dropped him off.

Everyone at the station knew him-He would bring flowers into the station.

Sadly, one day a call went out of a TC with pedestrian involved.

I was the first on scene, it was Steve and he was DOA. Was NOT the drivers fault.....

Steve had no blood family we could find. Yet-he had one of the highest attended funerals I can remember.

That's when the term, "Angels walk among us" really sank in............

OLG

That’s Left Eddie. Hopefully he won’t meet the same end but he’s special that’s for sure.

Archived