SASS Wire Forum

Is WST clean?

Renegade Roper

We currently use Clean Shot in our 32's, 38's and shotgun but are finding it's anything but clean although it does meter very good.  We've used Clays and Trail Boss before but found them to be temp sensitive (we live in upstate NY) and TB very dirty and doesn't meter well. We also tried 700x which was also pretty dirty.  Someone suggested WST, anyone that uses WST is it clean burning and/or temp sensitive?  What's your suggested pet loads for 32 S&W long w/78 grn bullet, 38 w/105 grn bullet and shotgun AA or STS hulls, 1oz shot?  Thanks Roper 

I use a lot of WST, and it's about as clean as the cleanest powders I've used.   It and Clay Dot are real favorites of mine for Cowboy loads, with Clays close behind.

I've not loaded either 32 Long or 38 spl with WST, however.

I have loaded a lot in shotshells.  

Here's a one ounce load from my logs:

Rem STS hull, 1 ounce shot in ClayBuster CB1100 (pink) wad, 19.0 gr WST, Fed 209A primer.   That's going to make about 1150 FPS....kinda warm for strictly Cowboy, but I also shoot this for Wild Bunch.  For me, it's not a hard recoiling load.

WST is not cold sensitive.   The factory claims it actually shoots stronger (slightly) in cold weather than in hot. 

I certainly found (Australian) Clays to be weak in cold weather in cowboy loads.  Clay Dot is not, in my experience.

Good luck, GJ

I have used CLEAN SHOT  in .32 H&R,   C45S,  and 9mm.   

I find it clean...... as clean as anything I've ever used.    But I've never found any powder that

was actually.....'Clean'.    

I also use Magnum primers in my reloads, which I have found to help complete burning of the powder.

One item that I have found consistent with EVERY type powder I have tried, whether a big magnum load

or a target type load, if you don't use sufficient powder, there always seems to be inconsistent burning

of lightly loaded ammo within its given loading specs.  

I try to load an 'ample' amount of powder within the load ranges of published data.

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I have used CLEAN SHOT  in .32 H&R,   C45S,  and 9mm.   

I find it clean...... as clean as anything I've ever used.    But I've never found any powder that

was actually.....'Clean'.    

I also use Magnum primers in my reloads, which I have found to help complete burning of the powder.

One item that I have found consistent with EVERY type powder I have tried, whether a big magnum load

or a target type load, if you don't use sufficient powder, there always seems to be inconsistent burning

of lightly loaded ammo within its given loading specs.  

I try to load an 'ample' amount of powder within the load ranges of published data.

..........Widder

Widder I don't think it's because of light loads.  With the rifle we had to reduce the load because we were at 950 fps when I chronied our loads.  I am not getting much if any unburnt powder (shotgun is the only one I notice any in and those loads chrony at 1050 - 1100 fps).  When we first started using it it was very clean, now we get a lot of black on the cases, carrier and cylinders.  My rifle carrier gets black and slightly sticky (not gummy but you notice it isn't as smooth) after only 100 rounds or less.  The cylinders on my stainless pistols look like they are blued rather than stainless. 

Its possible the powder manufacturer has changed their chemistry.

Interesting and also possible.

I remember a few years ago that Unique started advertising as 'Cleaner'.

I guess if they can make it cleaner, they can also make it dirtier by omitting certain 'stuff'.

I agree that your loads seem more than adequate and 100 rounds shouldn't be creating gummy

issues.

By chance, have you changed lubricants?    

..........Widder

Widder, Accurate did that years ago with Nitro 100. Changed the formula but not the name, liked the original, hated the new one. I never thought I would ever get thru that 8lb jug

3 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Hard to find powders for .32's. I am playing with the new powder from Win, 244. So far so good..

Snake Eye

I have GREAT results loading the .32 H&R  using:

Clean Shot

Red Dot

Bullseye

Titegroup

I have had Good results using:

Unique

Universal

..........Widder

Archived