SASS Wire Forum

New and looking

Eileen

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

I am new to Cowboy action shooting and am looking for a 73 model in a .357 caliber  can anyone direct me into the  right direction. 

Glad you said what you were looking for...Thought you were thinking this was a dating service...

Could not help myself...Welcome to the game...You are going have a lot of fun...

Texas Lizard

I'm already married, but thank you for the thought...

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Glad you said what you were looking for...Thought you were thinking this was a dating service...

Could not help myself...Welcome to the game...You are going have a lot of fun...

Texas Lizard

I'm already married, but thank you for the thought...

Lol.. That's to funny. And thank you for the welcome. 

6 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Lol.. That's to funny. And thank you for the welcome. 

With this group you will get a lot of kidding...Maybe one of these days we can be at the same place to shoot...Enjoy it, myself having doing it for about 10 years...Plan on hitting big matches, even if you think you are not ready...You do not have to be ready to have fun...It always finds you...I did...And have not stopped yet...Someone needs to be in the bottom 1%....And that is where I am at...

Texas Lizard

Welcome to the game Eileen. As some have stated above, try several types before you settle on a choice. I started in this game a year ago with a Marlin, I didn't care for the hooked butt plate on a 73. I had a chance to pick up the competition model Uberti 73 a few months ago and switched as soon as I tried it. Shotgun style butt and already short stroked but it is heavier than a Marlin and carries a bigger price tag. 

6 minutes ago, Doc X said:

........I didn't care for the hooked butt plate on a 73.............

The fitment of this type of buttplate isn't for everyone.

Do try out many rifle models before you settle.

Things like length, weight and general configuration should be considered. 

I have been using a 73.. my friend has been kind enough to share with me till I get my own.. And I did try a Marlin but think I want to go with the 73.. I hope to be at a competative level some day. I was able to buy me 2 cimarrons . 38 revolvers and a rig and shotgun belt was handed down to me so I have been blessed to have the help I have had.. I still have a lot to get as for my shotgun, rifle and gun cart.. I didnt realize how costly this sport can be..lol but I am loving it and plan on perusing Cowboy Action further. And thank you for the welcome as well.

5 hours ago, Eileen said:

I have been using a 73.. my friend has been kind enough to share with me till I get my own.. And I did try a Marlin but think I want to go with the 73.. I hope to be at a competative level some day. I was able to buy me 2 cimarrons . 38 revolvers and a rig and shotgun belt was handed down to me so I have been blessed to have the help I have had.. I still have a lot to get as for my shotgun, rifle and gun cart.. I didnt realize how costly this sport can be..lol but I am loving it and plan on perusing Cowboy Action further. And thank you for the welcome as well.

You can also look at a 73 carbine instead of a 73 rifle and it will be lighter in weight due to the barrel.

28 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

You can also look at a 73 carbine instead of a 73 rifle and it will be lighter in weight due to the barrel.

It also has the flat buttplate (and different stock) which might suit better.

The standard length of the carbine is a tad shorter, 19" instead of 20" barrel*, and there's even a 16" barrel carbine ("trapper") to consider, but somebody on the wire would have to confirm that it holds 10 rounds in .38 (I think I've read it somewhere)

* probably there are a lot of different barrel lengths out there....

Equanimous

I recently found a new to me Winchester 1873 in 357/38.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873-current-products/model-1873-short-rifle.html

It is just loads of fun, tuned right and pretty.  I shoot .45 in CAS so it is just a fun toy for me but I believe it would be a great CAS rifle. 

Both the wife and I shoot Uberti 73's.  We have replaced the stocks with flat buttstock.  About a year ago we picked up a 73 carbine (like Eqanimous Phil mentioned above) for a back-up.  The buttstock is comfortable right out of the box and it's a little lighter gun.

Captain Bill gave you some good recommendations for some sources of rifles that are available from well known gunsmiths.  These rifles are new and have already been tuned to be race ready.  Because these smiths buy in quantity, you can buy a "race ready" gun that has been tuned and has upgraded parts for a little more than a new "stock" rifle would cost you from a distributor like Cimarron or Taylors.  If you buy a stock gun, you will be buying a short-stroke kit and other parts to help you be competitive and then you will have to find a good gunsmith to install the parts and time the gun properly.  That will cost you hundreds more than buying a tuned new gun from one of the well known smiths.  Some people in this sport are very knowledgeable and can do all the work themselves.  Unfortunately, I have to defer to good gunsmiths. 

Eileen Welcome. Please avail yourself of the many years of collective knowledge available here. And get yourself a good hat

Imis  and dont listen to a word that Tyrell Cody utters, he is a notorious ner-do-well

12 minutes ago, El Cubano said:

Shhh, i'm negotiating with my wife to see how much more its gonna cost me to get a rifle and bribe her! Give a man a chance to work :D

Gotcha.:P

On 4/17/2019 at 12:53 AM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Taylors and Company sells a Ladies and Youth 1873 carbine.  Its what my wife shoots most of the time.

Archived