SASS Wire Forum

Lead Bullets (Where to buy)

Rube Burrows

Kind of looking to see who might offer up the best prices on lead bullets. I have always used S&S Bullets but I am getting low on both .45 and .38 bullets and will need to order some new ones soon.

Who are you all using? I have not had to buy any in a while so I am not sure about the current prices.

I use 200g RNFP and 158g RNFP 

And on a side note, what grain bullets are yall using for the matches in each caliber?

Thanks Pards,

Rube

Shipping costs are a significant part of the cost of cast bullets.  Some casters deliver to major matches for free.  If you cannot find one, look for one that ships in USPS flat rate boxes.  These boxes can weight up to 70-lbs and hold plenty of bullets.  I have bought bullets from Bang and Clang, Missouri Bullets, Chey Cast, S&S, Desperado, Colorado Cast and Badman.   All their bullets worked fine for CAS main match work.

BTW, if buying uncoated, lubed bullets best to order before it gets too warm or the lube can melt off bullets left outside.  The new, plastic-coated bullets don't have this problem.

Chey Cast bullets, love the coated bullets, and free shipping for orders of 2000 bullets!   SCJ

Chey-cast in Cheyenne WY free shipping on orders over 2000 bullets.  Also I shoot 105 gr in rifle and pistol 

Hi Rube,

I like Bullets by Scarlett.  

Cowboy Action bullets are her thing and she is a shooter.  I like her.

I hope this helps.  

All the best,  

Mo

1 hour ago, Rube Burrows said:

Thanks for all of the great info and suggestions pards. 

Rube,

Cheycast out of Otto, WY has real quality hard cast, lead coated bullets. I see that Assassin recommended them and he knows the reloading ins-and-outs really well. I got a free box of bullets at one of the Border Vigilantes matches last year and have been using them ever since. (https://bordervigilantes.com) I am currently using .38 Special in their 125 grain coated bullet with 4 grains of Trail Boss and they are as smooth as "Hell on Wheels." Some gunsmiths on the lever-actions tune-up recommend an OAL on the reloads and you need to make sure you can achieve that minimum OAL with the bullets you purchase. Orders of 2,000 bullets are generally shipped at no cost.

For many years Bearcreek were my bullets of choice because a pard up in Norco was a dealer for them. Back in 2008 when the economy took a dive he wanted a walnut gun cart and I wanted some 200 grain .45 bullets so we did the trade. He got a custom built gun cart and I got  Bearcreek bullets, lots and lots of them. I sold some and traded some away but it took me about 8 years to use them all so when I had to make a recent bullet purchase I went with  CheyCast. My pard in Norco doesn’t sell bullets anymore and the bullets that I got from CheyCast load and shoot nicely.

12 hours ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

Missouri Bullets has always been good to me.

Same for me. "Hardness Optimized".

Outlaw Bullets are the ones I use for general cowboy shooting.  Waimea is a good fella to do business with and he makes a good bullet at the best price I've found.  And I'm known for being cheap.

I use the coated Red River Bullets for my Wild Bunch ammo.  They feed better in my 1911.  Mustang Dave will take care of you.

Bullets by Scarlett also makes good bullets and each purchase comes with a hug.  I don't think Mustang Dave or Waimea are offering hugs with a bullet purchase.

I've used Summer Enterprises bullets for years now, lowest prices, great bullets and service.

If you're looking for coated bullets and don't mind driving into NOLA you can get Bayou Bullets and save the shipping.  UPDATE:  BAYOU BULLETS HAS FREE SHIPPING FOR ANY ORDER OVER $200.  http://www.bayoubullets.net   If you're planning on going to a state match look to see who the vendors are most will put together an order and bring it so you can pick it up.  I did that last weekend in FL and saved a bunch of shipping on 5K bullets, btw bought them from Scarlett.  She packages them in wooden boxes so you don't have to worry about cardboard breaking.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Outlaw Bullets are the ones I use for general cowboy shooting.  Waimea is a good fella to do business with and he makes a good bullet at the best price I've found.  And I'm known for being cheap.

I use the coated Red River Bullets for my Wild Bunch ammo.  They feed better in my 1911.  Mustang Dave will take care of you.

Bullets by Scarlett also makes good bullets and each purchase comes with a hug.  I don't think Mustang Dave or Waimea are offering hugs with a bullet purchase.

Badlands, you just bought yourself a BIG MANLY HUG with your next purchase!:lol:

For coated I've had good luck with a variety of vendors. I usually order in bulk and reload multiple calibers so I usually check out a variety to see who is giving me the best total deal. Ones i've used before are:
Cimarron Bullets http://www.cimarronbullets.com

SNS Casting http://www.snscasting.com/

Gallant Bullets (Free shipping on orders of 1K bullets) http://gallantbullets.com

Missouri Bullets(Use Code SASS for 5% Off) http://missouribullet.com

There are lots of bullet vendors.  I choose to buy from those who support the sport by sponsoring matches, taking the time, effort and expense to be a vendor at matches.  As an added plus, those folks tend to carry the type of bullets, powder, etc. that works well for our sport.  I’ve seen three or so of those vendors named in this thread.

18 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I use Outlaw Bullets.  Good prices, great guy to do business with.

https://outlawbullets.com/

I've been using Outlaw bullets, seems like the best price going. I placed an order once while Waimea was on vacation, there was ample warning on the website, and I was in no hurry. My order got lost in the shuffle. Again, no big deal, I wasn't in a hurry and told him so. Imagine my surprise when he threw in 500 free bullets to make up for the inconvenience. Class move if you ask me. 

57 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Badlands, you just bought yourself a BIG MANLY HUG with your next purchase!:lol:

You ain't plannin' on huggin' me next time are you?  Where's my stick?:P

17 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

You ain't plannin' on huggin' me next time are you?  Where's my stick?:P

Just embrace it, cause it's gonna happen. 

He's not too handsy unless you want him to be :lol:

3 hours ago, Waimea said:

OK, but I want my "Manly Hug" on Wednesday.  You guys in the tent get pretty gamey by Sunday.:D

One of Skeeter Skelton’s stories described a manly “abrazo” between friends.  Based on that precedent I would be OK with a hug from another gentleman.

Just don’t be smelling my hair.

1 hour ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

One of Skeeter Skelton’s stories described a manly “abrazo” between friends.  Based on that precedent I would be OK with a hug from another gentleman.

Just don’t be smelling my hair.

So keep Joe Biden away from you, huh?

Thanks again for all the great info and links. I have placed an order. I have saved all the links for future reference also. 

Archived