SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter crossdraws?

Death rider

Anything but gunfighter. Course, if he wears them on the opposite hip he could shoot gunfighter. This all assumes that the holsters don't have more than 30 degrees of cant when worn. If so, they can't be used at all.

Just now, Death rider said:

The cant is good but I'm not following the opposite hip thing so he would have to have each crossdraw on further back on each hip and draw one then the other?

No he'd wear the right hand cross draw holster on the right side instead of the left as designed and he'd wear the left hand cross draw holster on the right.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but in my opinion it isn't a great idea to start SASS as a gunfighter, nor with a crossdraw(if used as a crossdraw).

Regardless get him to a match; if he has guns but not holsters I'm sure the match director will let him stage the revolvers until he gets fixed up.

Tyrel's answer confused even me (ain't that hard).  DR, you brother has opposing cross draw holsters.  Can't do that gunfighter.  There are however, a whole pile of shooters who switch the cross draw holsters.  Switching them side for side gives the holsters a muzzle forward cant and aids in a smooth(er) draw when the holsters are moved toward the front center of the belt.  Basically, the holsters go on the gun belt backwards.

Unless your brother has already had lots and lots of practice with his off hand, I do NOT recommend he start out with Gunfighter.  The initial outcome will not be harmonious.  

42 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Tyrel's answer confused even me (ain't that hard).  DR, you brother has opposing cross draw holsters.  Can't do that gunfighter.  There are however, a whole pile of shooters who switch the cross draw holsters.  Switching them side for side gives the holsters a muzzle forward cant and aids in a smooth(er) draw when the holsters are moved toward the front center of the belt.  Basically, the holsters go on the gun belt backwards.

Unless your brother has already had lots and lots of practice with his off hand, I do NOT recommend he start out with Gunfighter.  The initial outcome will not be harmonious.  

Well actually they CAN use double(opposing) cross draw holsters just like anyone else. What they can't do is draw them cross draw style; have to use a calvary twist or similar method.

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No he'd wear the right hand cross draw holster on the right side instead of the left as designed and he'd wear the left hand cross draw holster on the right.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but in my opinion it isn't a great idea to start SASS as a gunfighter, nor with a crossdraw(if used as a crossdraw).

Regardless get him to a match; if he has guns but not holsters I'm sure the match director will let him stage the revolvers until he gets fixed up.

Wouldn't that be just the same as wearing standard canted holsters cause the way you said that he has both holsters on the right side?  It would be really hard to use the Cavalry twist with canted holsters.  

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

Wouldn't that be just the same as wearing standard canted holsters?  It would be really hard to use the Cavalry twist with canted holsters.  

Yes, but he wouldn't have to do the cavalry twist because the grips would be oriented to the rear. 

The Cavalary twist comment was in the case of wearing the cross draw holsters as designed. Yes it would be hard with canned holsters.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes, but he wouldn't have to do the cavalry twist because the grips would be oriented to the rear. 

The Cavalary twist comment was in the case of wearing the cross draw holsters as designed. Yes it would be hard with canned holsters.

So he wouldn't be shooting cross draw, he would just be doing the standard gunfighter thing with canted holsters?  So he's turning cross draws into standard cants?  OK, I get it. At first glance it sounded like you had him with two holsters on the right side.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well actually they CAN use double(opposing) cross draw holsters just like anyone else. What they can't do is draw them cross draw style; have to use a calvary twist or similar method.

He usually practices a cavalry draw but I was under the impression this was illegal?

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

So he wouldn't be shooting cross draw, he would just be doing the standard gunfighter thing with canted holsters?  So he's turning cross draws into standard cants?  OK, I get it. At first glance it sounded like you had him with two holsters on the right side.

Please note that this is a limited time offer and can not be used in conjunction with any other coupon. Not valid in California, New York, and Ohio. Also void where prohibited.

52 minutes ago, Death rider said:

Yes this is exactly what he practices. So he's good to do this duelist? Or gunfighter? He has a Charlie prince rig from 3:10 to Yuma. 

Yes, he's good to go. That said, I'd strongly suggest he shoot duelist or double duelist for his first few matches; there's a lot of stuff going on that he'll be better served getting used to before tackling gunfighter.

He can shoot gunfighter, he can use cross draw, he just can not do a simultaneous cross draw (both guns at the same time). He can use the cavalry twist if he wants to pull both at the same time.

And, as Pale Wolf suggested, and for a lot of folks answering here, read the Shooters Handbook, Pages 6-7, especially page 7.

36 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes, he's good to go. That said, I'd strongly suggest he shoot duelist or double duelist for his first few matches; there's a lot of stuff going on that he'll be better served getting used to before tackling gunfighter.

36 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thank you very much

Archived