SASS Wire Forum

Where to get Belt Mountain vase pin for Ruger Vaqueros

Monsieur Gunner

I want to get a pair of Belt Mountain base pins for my Ruger Vaqueros but they don’t list a phone number.

I contacted them through their website and got a question answered but then no follow up.  I used the order form but no way to pay and no response to the order or another email.

Does anyone know a place to buy them (Midway lists themas discontinued)?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Monsieur Gunner said:

Thanks

Power pins are great but they are oversized and require work to install.

i am looking for something “drop in” as these are brand new.

Good luck with that. Drop in means loose. Base pins are supposed to be a tight fit. .0005" clearance. You won't get .0005" tolerance on a "drop in" part. 
the sell reamers with the pins

8 minutes ago, Monsieur Gunner said:

I get that

I’m talking about not wanting to do gunsmith work on the frame - a little crocus cloth on the pin I could live with.

Well first thing I'd try is to see how well a good 1/4" drill fits in the frame and cylinder unless you have a small hole gauge and mic? if the frame and cylinder is .250" their pin would be a perfect fit. 

Most likely you will have to do a little work on the frame (sorry). The factory hole for the base pin locking pin usually has a burr on it and with the tolerances being so tight on the new base pin, this burr will interfere.

Belt Mountain is a little old fashioned.  As I recall, you need to print out the order form, fill it in, write a check, then mail it in via good ol' snail mail.  It always seems sketchy but, soon enough, the right thing arrives in the mail.  Address on the order form.

IMO this is the most over rated mod available out there. It's like putting a pearl necklace on a hog. Just use a nail and plenty of grease.

5 hours ago, Monsieur Gunner said:

I want to get a pair of Belt Mountain base pins for my Ruger Vaqueros but they don’t list a phone number.

I contacted them through their website and got a question answered but then no follow up.  I used the order form but no way to pay and no response to the order or another email.

Thanks

When you go to the Belt Mountain Website, the phone number is at the top left of the page.  But, as in most one-man operations, you'll probably need to leave a message.  E-mail got my questions answered.  When I sent an order with payment, product came promptly.  His base pins are a precise fit.  If you are having trouble installing one, you've probably got a burr inside the channel, touching it up with a round stone, or round jewelers file may help.  I've used his products for years on different guns and have never had to adjust the diameter of the pin. 

23 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

IMO this is the most over rated mod available out there. It's like putting a pearl necklace on a hog. Just use a nail and plenty of grease.

If I remember, the next time I'm in the hardware store I'll pick up a 1/4" cap screw and see how much work it would take to make it into a base pin.

I just make my own but I have a small lathe and taps, etc.  I custom fit pin to gun and bushing. 

1 hour ago, Monsieur Gunner said:

I get that

I’m talking about not wanting to do gunsmith work on the frame - a little crocus cloth on the pin I could live with.

That will still leave the sloppy fit of the cyl on the pin. You're not fix'n anything that way.

Leave the pin alone-Fit the pin to the gun's frame.........

OLG

OK - I found a burr that was preventing the lock pin from fully seating.  Things seem better but I want no doubt.

I guess I missed needing to mail the order form with a check - I thought it was electronic.

The phone number is a recorded message and fax line that does not take messages.

Snail mail it is.

36 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

If I remember, the next time I'm in the hardware store I'll pick up a 1/4" cap screw and see how much work it would take to make it into a base pin.

It probably will take a larger cap screw.  The nominal screw size is the  thread major diameter, usually less about .002" - . 004" for nominal size hole clearance. 

Before you get too precise, you might also take a hole diametral gauge or (since you have a lathe) make an accurate test pin and check to see if the cylinder hole is drilled/bored (therefore inaccurate) or it is properly reamed and parallel.  On my Vaqueros, they are drilled holes, and neither hole is perfectly straight nor parallel sided.  Inserting the base pin is always a bit of a wiggle job. 

From the finished product, I suspect the manufacturing process bores the chambers and base pin hole in one multi-bit operation, then the chambers are reamed, but not necessarily the base pin boring. Remember, these are not Purdy shotguns, or fine H&r double barrel rifles.  They are production guns.  So don't set your precision expectation bar too high.  

Yeah, my old clunkers don't merit such. They've only won 15 regional, 15 state and three national titles with the stock pins.

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It probably will take a larger cap screw.  The nominal screw size is the  thread major diameter, usually less about .002" - . 004" for nominal size hole clearance. 

Before you get too precise, you might also take a hole diametral gauge or (since you have a lathe) make an accurate test pin and check to see if the cylinder hole is drilled/bored (therefore inaccurate) or it is properly reamed and parallel.  On my Vaqueros, they are drilled holes, and neither hole is perfectly straight nor parallel sided.  Inserting the base pin is always a bit of a wiggle job. 

From the finished product, I suspect the manufacturing process bores the chambers and base pin hole in one multi-bit operation, then the chambers are reamed, but not necessarily the base pin boring. Remember, these are not Purdy shotguns, or fine H&r double barrel rifles.  They are production guns.  So don't set your precision expectation bar too high.  

Like I said, a hog.

42 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Yeah, my old clunkers don't merit such. They've only won 15 regional, 15 state and three national titles with the stock pins.

Like I said, a hog.

Just think how much better you'd done with properly fitted base pins. :unsure:

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
7 hours ago, Monsieur Gunner said:

Thanks

Are you attempting to game the TRI-STATE :P :FlagAm:

59 minutes ago, Monsieur Gunner said:

I’m afraid it would take more than gaming to beat Grazer

But really just trying to make the damn thing stay put!

Then replace the base latch spring with one of these(1/2 way down the page).

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

OLG

If you do not find the Belt Mountain as you want, I have a couple of pairs of stainless #5 for NMV.  I often order several pair when I order.  PM me if interested.

Archived