SASS Wire Forum

Vinyl v. Digital

Subdeacon Joe

Bought a digital remaster of the Doors' 1st album on CD a few years ago.  It sounded lousy, just plane weird.

It seems  the original was mastered on a tape machine that pulled the tape past the head at different speeds depending on how full the spools were.  1st song ran at different speed than the 4th, etc.

When they did the digital remaster, they "fixed" all the problems . . . and ruined the music.

There is plenty of great music out there, the problem is that it is rarely played on the radio, so you have to go looking for it. 

Apple's iTunes and Amazon are both good places to start since both allow you to listen to clips of songs.  It also means no more buying a complete album just to get the 2 or 3 songs you want, now you can just buy those songs.

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Image may contain: text

I have that album along with about 300 others of the 60's, 70's and early 80's music.

Along the threads line though.....What did the Grateful Dead fan say when he ran out of drug?. "Man, this music sucks".

Music was better back then. Too much like McMusic now. Ya, I know, I’m a grumpy old crank. But it’s true (to me anyway). 

But Led Zeppelin? That’s where I draw the line.  I may be the only person born in the 60’s who hates Robert Plant. 

I’m not speaking of the medium from which the sound is reproduced.  Today’s technology is wonderful.  Having recorded on 8, 16, and 64 channel reel to reel as well as on digital equipment in several studios over the years, I’ve found that each, in its own way, produces or reproduces music reasonably accurately.  

Where the various processes differ is in the “warmth” of the reproduction.  Music produced by voice or classic instruments is NOT digital.  It cannot be perfectly reproduced digitally.  Normal sound is analog. Tape or other, (things like the old vinyl technology) analog equipment can capture those parts of the sound that fall through the “digital cracks”.

My hearing is no longer that acute.  With really good equipment, I can usually still tell the difference between analog and digital recordings. Most digital music is compressed to the point that all of the nuances are lost.

Besides all that, most of today’s new artists are there because they look good and producers can make them sound any way they want.  Artist, in many cases, is a misnomer.  The old performers are artists. They made it before Pro Tools and pitch correction and all the other tech that makes most of the newer acts palatable.

And as far as Zepplin goes, Jimmy Page more than makes up for Robert Plant!! :lol: B)

21 hours ago, Cactus Mike said:

Music was better back then. Too much like McMusic now. Ya, I know, I’m a grumpy old crank. But it’s true (to me anyway). 

But Led Zeppelin? That’s where I draw the line.  I may be the only person born in the 60’s who hates Robert Plant. 

I was at that ill fated concert in Tampa Stadium back in the mid 70's.......couldn't stand Led Zeppelin ever since. Contrary to what is probably on the internet, the crowd did not riot or anything like that. We were pissed that it drizzled a little bit and they hauled ass after playing 2 or 3 songs that were way off key and sounded horrible.

Oh well, I'll take vinyl over digital any day, so long as I don't have to tape a penny to the top of the stylus. 

My bachelor party was at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Asbury Park NJ in 1975. I was kinda wasted..... but the music was AWESOME. I have a pretty large vinyl collection that I still use to this day.

Archived