SASS Wire Forum

Taylor Smoke Wagon Dlx

Marshal El Malo

Been a Ruger guy my whole life, but picked up my Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxe (in 45 of course) with a 5.5in bbl.  

Holy cow what a smooth action and trigger pull.  Crazy light and crisp!  Really digging the hammer mounted firing pin.

Some questions I have.  I know with these clones there is a history of going from 4 clicks to 3.  This one has 4.  When did this happen?  Is it model specific?  Was glad it came with a hammer mounted firing pin and not the new system.  Did Uberti convert all of their models over to this or are the distributors still having a say?  Or did I just get lucky?

Plan to throw some lead this weekend with it, but fit, finish, action, etc are all better than any of my Rugers.  Will get some pics and range report in a few days!

You can tell if it is a retractable firing pin by looking to see it the pin sticks through the recoil plate without the trigger being pulled. Pull the trigger and drop the hammer while holding the trigger and the firing pin will now peak through.

I have a pair also and they're great shooters! Have fun with them Smoke Wagons!!;)

As far as I can tell it's hit or miss on what you get from Uberti. Taylor may specify how they want their weapons built. I believe the standard stroke gets the retractable firing pin, the short strokes are fixed with the 1/4 cock hammer block and two position base pin,  My Sass pro's came with fixed firing pins and short stroked. I had to do the action job and re spring the gun. Not to mention de horn a few bits. Nice pistols but not a lot of attention to detail when it comes to final assembly. 

I highly recommend you take the gun completely apart with good screw drivers and attention being paid to screw head engagement. The screws are very soft.  Hose out the frame with some spray oil and inspect for burrs, I'm not familiar with Taylor, I know they do their own custom work so I would hope they come from them ready to roll. My Sass Pro's could have had one of those burrs break loose and muck up the gun. 

I blindly purchased a pair of the smokewagon deluxes before I shot my first match. What a great pair of pistols to start with!  About a year later, I was actually a tiny bit disappointed with my "fancy" new Rugers when I first picked them up, but I prefer them now. I will still hang on to my Smokewagons though. Mine were manufactured just before they changed to the retractable firing pin, so I got lucky.

Have fun with them!

Archived