SASS Wire Forum

Slow Mo Gunfighter

John E.B. Rawton

“Like ‘lasses in the winter time” I’m no clock chaser. I like to take my time and savor the moment no matter iffin I’m shootin’ double duelist or gunfighter. My  average raw score at this year’s opening match, using 4 cap guns in a Josey Wales style, was 79.98. I actually shot close to a full 8 minutes Saturday. 

I know there are many ways for me to pick up speed such as moving faster from the rifle line to the pistol line or working with the sxs. But my real question is for the gunfighters out there. A posse pard was sayin’ that he double cocks to save time. I see others shoot stiff armed while shooting. What kinda’ things do you do as a gunfighter to speed up your game and stay on target?

FB62776E-DCBE-44C2-AC8F-4365233C4F45.jpeg

Don't pump your arms and stay away from double cocking because if you have any spit pistols double cocking will get you in trouble. Try to learn to cock one gun while shooting the other. Those are the things I worked on when I first started out.

Work on transitions , loading and shucking shotgun.  I've picked up more time this way than just the pistols. Having said that when your on target don't hesitate pull the trigger and practice holstering over and over till you don't have to look

Missouri Lefty set the Gunfighter World Record last September.  It is the first of his 4 records on the video.  If you are going to copy someone, copy the best.

J-Bar is right!

Copy the best and learn the good habits!

After that; stay flexible so you can handle any situation that comes up!  

Gunfighter is one of the most fun and fastest way to shoot!  :lol:

You will amaze all your friends!  

All the best,

Mo

I started shooting gunfighter in November, and I've yet to get away from double-cocking. I don't think it's better to double-cock, and I certainly don't think it's necessarily faster. I want to be as smooth and fast as Missouri Lefty (thanks J-Bar), but that would take more practice than I'm willing to endure (for now). Double-cocking is working for me, and I've not yet been accused of shooting them too close together.

The good news is I've started to change leads with some success, so that may be a stepping stone to doing it the "right" way  not double-cocking.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, John E.B. Rawton said:

My  average raw score at this year’s opening match, using 4 cap guns in a Josey Wales style, was 79.98. 

If you're shooting 4 cap guns Josey Wales, time don't matter!  What the heck,  who are you competing against anyway!

I shot Josey Wales last fall with a pair of 45Colt and 44WCF BlackMZ loads.  I don't even remember my times.   I did shoot 4 clean stages and missed one or two on one and crashed on another. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

If you're shooting 4 cap guns Josey Wales, time don't matter!  What the heck,  who are you competing against anyway!

I shot Josey Wales last fall with a pair of 45Colt and 44WCF BlackMZ loads.  I don't even remember my times.   I did shoot 4 clean stages and missed one or two on one and crashed on another. 

Ha! I know. I’m only competing against myself especially when I’m the only JWS shooter. 

I just shot 4 clean stages, missed 2 on 1 and did bad ‘rythmatic on 1 and forgot to shoot the last round in the gun. It sure did seem to go by in a blur ... or maybe it was all the smoke!

If you're looking for efficiency, lose the habit of double-cocking and changing leads.  When you double-cock and change leads, one of your hands is busy doing nothing.

5 hours ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

Ha! I know. I’m only competing against myself especially when I’m the only JWS shooter. 

I just shot 4 clean stages, missed 2 on 1 and did bad ‘rythmatic on 1 and forgot to shoot the last round in the gun. It sure did seem to go by in a blur ... or maybe it was all the smoke!

You're in good company, hoss!  My first SASS match after a long hiatus found me shooting the same: 4 cap 'n ball pistols (two 1860s, two Walkers) and a BP loaded SxS 12 gauge.  I think my best time was about 1:22 or thereabouts. . .

It's hard work being the 247th Fastest Gun in the West. . . .

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

7 minutes ago, Wild Ben VanDorn said:

You're in good company, hoss!  My first SASS match after a long hiatus found me shooting the same: 4 cap 'n ball pistols (two 1860s, two Walkers) and a BP loaded SxS 12 gauge.  I think my best time was about 1:22 or thereabouts. . .

I shot 2 Walkers an 1860 and an 1851. Those 4+ lb. Walkers just don’t move that fast but they do bellow out in a purdy way. 

06D51405-F7F7-4516-BA7C-5F4CF8E8DCB3.jpeg

Nice set-up!

Yeah, those Walkers are a big help to the spotters - assuming they can hear the clang over the boom!

You got conversion cylinders for those Walkers, do ya?  I've not tried that with mine, though have been tempted. . .

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

3 hours ago, Wild Ben VanDorn said:

You got conversion cylinders for those Walkers, do ya?  I've not tried that with mine, though have been tempted. . .

When I first got the Walkers, I converted them right away with gated setups by Kirst. I was shooting trailboss and hadn’t ventured down soot alley until the end of last season when I started shooting again. 

Loaded some bp cartridge and got bit real hard. Had to buy two more cap guns and convert the Walkers back. It had been quite the learning experience getting everything together but well worth the time. 

Archived