SASS Wire Forum

Don't forget what is really important

On Saturday, we watched our 10 yr old grandson play in his 1st baseball tournament of the year. Despite losing the first game 6-5, the boys played great and looked like they could be a match for anyone. The 2nd game was an all out error-fest. And to top it off, Owen didn't play as well as usual. I was less than happy about the way they played and was not doing a good job hiding my anger about their poor play. Owen wasn't quite himself, but we passed it off as his disappointment in the team's poor play. He attended a friend's birthday party on Sunday, but just wasn't having a good time and wasn't as active was he usually is. By 4:00, he told his dad he was in pain and wanted to go to the doctor. Long story short, at 12:30 this morning, he had an appendectomy.  Surgery was a snap and he's doing fine, re-cooping at home.

Remember what is really important.

I coached baseball for many years. If the kids have fun and advance in play level, it's very rewarding.  What isn't rewarding is seeing parents and others who take the score too seriously and neglect the player's enjoyment level and their concept of sportsmanship and teamwork!!  

Keep encouraging the young'un to play and improve.  Parents (and grandparents) who practice at home with the kids and who take the whole team in as their own are a great part of youth sports!!  I was lucky enough to have quite a few who did this.  Win, lose, or draw, teams like that have the most fun and the players benefit in more ways than just sports.

Hope Owen recovers quickly and has a ball playing ball!!

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:56 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Hope he recovers from this and becomes a first rate ballplayer or whatever he wants to do.

Imis

Thanks to all for your concern for my grandson, Owen. Yes, his recovery will be quick. His surgeon has a son who is a pitcher with Michigan State, so he knows exactly what Owen can do and how quickly he can do it. Come find out that he didn't feel 100% Saturday, but didn't say anything because he wanted to play baseball. Didn't say anything Sunday because he wanted to go to his friend's birthday party. Pain finally got so bad he couldn't take it.

Oh to be young. He went to practice last night and played catch with a coach. Didn't throw hard, and didn't reach for high or low throws, but still less than 30 hours after surgery. Feels and acts like his old self today and will return to school tomorrow. One positive out of this, at least for awhile, he realizes that playing sports is more important to him than video games and he will be more focused and work harder at practice and in games, Thanks, again.

Scary! Glad it turned out ok.

I learned that his wasn't the only appendectomy that day. The other was a 9 yr old girl. Turns out the appendicitis in kids is more common then we think.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: thanks to all for your kind words. Owen was released to play. Because of almost a whole week of rain, he had an extra week off. Played five games this past weekend and didn't have any problems, he even pitched in the last game. Thanks again.

Archived