SASS Wire Forum

Firearms transfers into CA (a bit OT)?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Regulations-Smart Pards,

I am an FFL in NE who has stayed away from transferring firearms to CA FFL's because of their CA commie DOJ regs.

But now I was approached by a female friend who lost her 20+ yr ex.  She wants to get his deer rifle to one of his surviving brothers (a CA resident).

I am at a loss to find a way to get it sent out to a nearby dealer.  As far as I can find, the answer is a "no".

BTW, the rifle is a Browning Auto (hunting) rifle in .30-06.

Can anyone direct me to the black and white regulation that would allow (or not allow) a Nebraska FFL to a Calif FFL transfer? 

I appreciate the help.

Many thanks,

MG

It's simple.

Register with CDOJ. Then get the receiving FFL's CFL(?) number. You go online with CDOJ and fill out a super short form (I mean SUPER SHORT), print it and send with your FFL in the box with the rifle.

Done.

I'm not doing a good job defining the process, but it really is easy.

Phantom

Or you could get the surviving brother to find a FFL in CA that will accept from an individual and she can send it via USPS herself; just needs her photo id in the box.

What part of the Golden state are you wanting to ship it to?

34 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

What part of the Golden state are you wanting to ship it to?

Yul, I don't know the region yet.  Actually they are still very undecided whether to cash it in or send it to CA.

I can't get a straight answer, but I reckon that the brother wants, it unless he can get big bucks for it.

It's a Belgian Browning so it has some value.  

MG 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Or you could get the surviving brother to find a FFL in CA that will accept from an individual and she can send it via USPS herself; just needs her photo id in the box.

TC:

I tried to send a pair of used Colt NM Gold Cups to a Pard's daughter in CA a year ago, and I was told by a dealer in Sacramento that Colts cannot be "imported" into CA. 

He also said that there is a DOJ list saying just which guns can come in and which guns can't.  Was that true?

I really don't even want to get into this firearms estate shipping thing, but I feel I owe it to the deceased.  He was a USN vet.

MG

Should you have to ship it down here I have a couple of FFLs that I could refer you to.

1 minute ago, Mustang Gregg said:

TC:

I tried to send a pair of used Colt NM Gold Cups to a Pard's daughter in CA a year ago, and I was told by a dealer in Sacramento that Colts cannot be "imported" into CA. 

He also said that there is a DOJ list saying just which guns can come in and which guns can't.  Was that true?

I really don't even want to get into this firearms estate shipping thing, but I feel I owe it to the deceased.  He was a USN vet.

MG

No idea about the Colt's. I believe most of that pertains to handguns. I've shipped several rifles to California without issue and I do not have an FFL. 

i dont get why he doesnt just come get it and take it home - this is still america and we still have a 2nd so far , no war on , why is that an issue ? and im only asking because im old and do not know - but i think gun registration is still against the constitution of the US 

Handguns have to be on the roster. Or meet an exemption. Most single actions are exempt. 

Anything that was an assault weapon at the federal level 11 years ago is a no no here. 

But rifles bolt action, lever actions single shots are all good to go. 

2 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i dont get why he doesnt just come get it and take it home - this is still america and we still have a 2nd so far , no war on , why is that an issue ? and im only asking because im old and do not know - but i think gun registration is still against the constitution of the US 

Most likely he don’t have the $500 to fly out. But yes that is an option. 

3 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Regulations-Smart Pards,

I am an FFL in NE who has stayed away from transferring firearms to CA FFL's because of their CA commie DOJ regs.

But now I was approached by a female friend who lost her 20+ yr ex.  She wants to get his deer rifle to one of his surviving brothers (a CA resident).

I am at a loss to find a way to get it sent out to a nearby dealer.  As far as I can find, the answer is a "no".

BTW, the rifle is a Browning Auto (hunting) rifle in .30-06.

Can anyone direct me to the black and white regulation that would allow (or not allow) a Nebraska FFL to a Calif FFL transfer? 

I appreciate the help.

Many thanks,

MG

Start here by enrolling in CFLC.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

Seriously...????

There are laws regarding transfer of ownership. Please don't tell me that you are suggesting breaking these laws.

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Seriously...????

There are laws regarding transfer of ownership. Please don't tell me that you are suggesting breaking these laws.

Phantom

Surviving Brother, shouldn't be any need to transfer.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Surviving Brother, shouldn't be any need to transfer.

Brother doesn’t count in California. Don’t know about other states, but immediately family is parents, kids and spouse only. 

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Really... Out of state... Not familiar with the law for surviving family members.

Well here's the Deal. Nebraska has no law on Long gun sales that I can find. Federal law allows a person to take possession of a longgun outside of their state of residence. California allows this as well with what is called a Voluntary registration. CalVOLREG for short. Assuming he is not a prohibited person, There is no California law prohibiting the brother from flying or driving out, picking up the rifle and returning home. He then has I believe 10 days to voluntarily register the firearm I might be wrong It might be 30 days. That said there is no law for possession of an unregistered Firearm. So it is not against any California law to bring a Firearm into the state and not voluntarily register it. It's nothing more than an intimidation tactic by the state.  This goes without saying so long as it's not a firearm that is illegal in this state such as an Assault weapon. or any shoulder fired 50 BMG.

Handguns pose other concerns where federal law requires you to take possession of a hand gun in your state of residence. i.e. through an FFL in California. 
And in California handgun must be on the safe handgun roster or be specifically exempted either by design or by in state private party transfer. 

Again all the out of state FFL needs to do is get their dealer number through the CADOJ ship the gun to the instate FFL with a copy of the NE FFL
the brother will then need to dros the firearm in state as a private party sale, have the widow fill out a bill of sale saying the rifle is a gift and its a used gun and no sales tax need be paid. pay the dealer his fee plus $25 dros fee wait ten days and you're good to go. 

9 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Brother doesn’t count in California. Don’t know about other states, but immediately family is parents, kids and spouse only. 

that's for an Intrafamily transfer and that only applies if the two parties are CA state residents 

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's not a weapon... It's a gun.

Are you an FFL or a lawyer?

Phantom

I'm and 03 FFL holder yes and it is a weapon.:P Forgive me, I've been on to many California gun boards and they will pick you apart if the correct legal terms are not used. I know ridiculous right??

1 minute ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

I'm and 03 FFL holder yes and it is a weapon.:P Forgive me, I've been on to many California gun boards and they will pick you apart if the correct legal terms are not used. I know ridiculous right??

It's not a weapon until used as such; but we've lost that argument haven't we :(

4 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

This Type 03 designation doesn’t allow the license holder to be in the business of selling or manufacturing firearms. However, in a state like California it does open the door to buying ammunition directly from online retailers without a third-party’s involvement.

Phantom is a 01, and has had his own store front for many years.

He is very well versed on PRK gun laws. He use to live here...........;) 

OLG

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

This Type 03 designation doesn’t allow the license holder to be in the business of selling or manufacturing firearms. However, in a state like California it does open the door to buying ammunition directly from online retailers without a third-party’s involvement.

Phantom is a 01, and has had his own store front for many years.

He is very well versed on PRK gun laws. He use to live here...........;) 

OLG

I hear ya but he was getting a little nervous on if someone was going to break a federal or California law. and that's not the case here. 

And yeah my 03 FFL is worth just a little more than the paper it's printed on which isn't much

3 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

I hear ya but he was getting a little nervous on if someone was going to break a federal or California law. and that's not the case here. 

Nervous?

:lol::lol:

Excuse me, I've got to go clean my weapon...I mean fork. I just finished lunch.

:lol:

24 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It's not a weapon until used as such; but we've lost that argument haven't we :(

Edited for ya. But sorry I disagree a weapon is always a weapon,  People in my state need to learn that just because it's a weapon don't make it bad or evil.

weap·on
/ˈwepən/
noun

1. a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
    "nuclear weapons"
    • a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest.
      "resignation threats had long been a weapon in his armory"

9 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

Phantom-nervous, ya-'rite'. :o:huh:

TNX- Now I gots to clean my 'puter screen off from the coffee I just sprayed all over it, from laugh'n so hard. :lol:

PLZ post a warning, when post'n a 'funny' like that one..............

BTW-Did you ever get to participate your first SASS shoot, this last weekend? 

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

BTW-Did you ever get to participate your first SASS shoot, this last weekend? 

OLG

No Sir 
It's going to be the May match in Delzura. I was still working out issues with loads and such on the rifle and pistols. Got all that figured out now.
To many irons in the fire. 

15 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

Edited for ya. But sorry I disagree a weapon is always a weapon,  People in my state need to learn that just because it's a weapon don't make it bad or evil.

weap·on
/ˈwepən/
noun

1. a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
    "nuclear weapons"
    • a means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest.
      "resignation threats had long been a weapon in his armory"

ri·fle1
/ˈrīfəl/
noun

1. 1.
    a gun, especially one fired from shoulder level, having a long spirally grooved barrel intended to make a bullet spin and thereby have greater accuracy over a long distance.
shot·gun
/ˈSHätˌɡən/
noun

1. 1.
    a smoothbore gun for firing small shot at short range.

pis·tol
/ˈpistl/
noun

1. 1.
    a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

re·volv·er
    /rəˈvälvər/
    noun

1. a pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.

I can post definitions too. These things we use for shooting targets are not weapons until they are used as a weapon. I'll grant you that a drill sergeant is going to scream at a soldier to learn how to handle his weapon, but that is a totally different situation. What we use and what is being talked about by the OP is not a weapon, they're firearms. Liberals have pushed the term weapon for all firearms because it sounds scarier. My bowie knife is not a weapon, my fork is not a weapon, and my firearms are not weapons. None of those things are weapons until used as such.

I started not to post anything, but then I realized the very reason we will lose all of our firearms someday is due to silence from gunowners.

You're new to this sport, I don't think I've welcomed you yet; so welcome to the best game there is. Get out to a match shoot and let's not debate over terminology.

Have a great day.

18 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I can post definitions too. These things we use for shooting targets are not weapons until they are used as a weapon. I'll grant you that a drill sergeant is going to scream at a soldier to learn how to handle his weapon, but that is a totally different situation. What we use and what is being talked about by the OP is not a weapon, they're firearms. Liberals have pushed the term weapon for all firearms because it sounds scarier. My bowie knife is not a weapon, my fork is not a weapon, and my firearms are not weapons. None of those things are weapons until used as such.

I started not to post anything, but then I realized the very reason we will lose all of our firearms someday is due to silence from gunowners.

You're new to this sport, I don't think I've welcomed you yet; so welcome to the best game there is. Get out to a match shoot and let's not debate over terminology.

Have a great day.

I hear ya Sir and thank you for the welcome. 
Yeah Maybe I need to change my way of thinking on this. I agree it is nothing but a ploy to make things sound scary and bad, and I should not help perpetuate the problem. 
I've walked away from other boards due to Pissing contests. I'm over that crap and I like the way (most) everyone here does there best to keep things from turning into splitting hairs and arguing over useless crap. Kinda like the Transferbar thread. I'm just trying to learn about this sport and pass on what knowledge I can to others. Without needing to be right. 
You have a great day too 

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

California has very defined laws regarding change of ownership of any firearm post 1899.

The brother does not meet the criteria for intra family transfer, which in itself requires a form sent to CADOJ, so must go through the FFL process.

For the brother to go and pick it up with the idea of returning to California, he will have illegally imported a firearm into the state.  He doesn't want that drama.

Shipping a long gun into California is simple enough to relieve him of the headache of other methods that could land him in jail.  

I'd advise the brother to seek out a Probate attorney and ask about the intestate succession clause and how that applies to the importation of a firearm. 

That said all this can be avoided by simply shipping the firearm to a California FFL and be done with it. This way there is no question that the transfer was done in accordance with the law. 

• 2 weeks later...

It still has not been decided just what they are going to do with the firearms.

Thanks.

Archived