SASS Wire Forum

Notre Dame is on Fire!

https://www.foxnews.com/world/massive-fire-breaks-out-in-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is on fire. 

Watching the TV news now.  I'm just sick to my stomach!!

image.png.22e36ead5bd6bbe73eb32971e1de5a1a.png

Unfortunately anything made with wood is prone to this. Most of the ancient buildings in Beijing's Forbidden City have been rebuilt numerous times due to fire. I just hope that Notre Dame's architecture is sufficiently documented that they can rebuild it back to its original appearance. It won't be 900 years old anymore, but I suspect a large part of it already wasn't.

16 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

AP article said speculation by fire dept is it's related to the renovation. Sounds like the ocean liner Normandy back in WWII.

That was my first thought. How many fires have we all seen that started during construction or renovation? One witness said it seemed to start as the cathedral was closing for the day. Construction crew also wrapping it up. Maybe a hot weding torch laid down on a wood scaffold? Sparks? Hot rivet dropped? Cigarette (it’s Paris, everybody smokes)

Time will tell. Somebody has a lot of splaining to do. 

If they find out some goober worker caused it they may bring back the Guillotine. 

There are numerous news articles that throughout France churches are being attacked.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

I strongly suspect this will be found to be arson.

In all the videos and pictures I have seen so far there is a glaring lack of visible firefighting efforts. No firetrucks are visible spraying water on the roof of the Cathedral. :(

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

In all the videos and pictures I have seen so far there is a glaring lack of visible firefighting efforts. No firetrucks are visible spraying water on the roof of the Cathedral. :(

Not a lot of firefighting activity, that’s for sure. Maybe they aren’t set up for something on that scale. There are a couple of water streams coming in but that’s it.

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

There are numerous news articles that throughout France churches are being attacked.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

If it was deliberate then they DEFINITELY need to bring back the Guillotine. :angry:

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My first thought.

I'm not ready to point fingers at firefighting efforts based on a few images and video clips shot from a great distance. Given the age of the structure (12th century) and the abundance of combustible material, it would go up like a match in just  a few minutes, long before a meaningful firefighting effort could be mounted. If you've ever seen an old house or barn go up, you know how fast they can torch.

With absolutely no info other than pictures and some arson investigation training, it is my opinion at this time that it was simply due to the construction. The origin appears to be on the roof where the restoration activity is going on. One welding spark (or cigarette) on the wood planks of the scaffolding or the centuries-old wood roof portions would start an inferno in a short time. A deliberate arson attempt would most likely have been done at a much lower  level. I could be wrong. But how many other fires have we seen here on buildings under construction that were similar? The Stratosphere hotel in 93 and the Monte Carlo in Vegas in 2003 come to mind.

I hope it's carelessness and not deliberate.

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

With absolutely no info other than pictures and some arson investigation training, it is my opinion at this time that it was simply due to the construction. The origin appears to be on the roof where the restoration activity is going on. One welding spark (or cigarette) on the wood planks of the scaffolding or the centuries-old wood roof portions would start an inferno in a short time. A deliberate arson attempt would most likely have been done at a much lower  level. I could be wrong. But how many other fires have we seen here on buildings under construction that were similar? The Stratosphere hotel in 93 and the Monte Carlo in Vegas in 2003 come to mind.

Yep, the plumbers torch sparked a huge fire in Escondido about a decade ago and it burned down three large apartment buildings that were under construction. The wood being hundreds of years old would burn with gusto. Any way you look at it it’s a terrible thing.

52 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

UB, I do so hope you are right; that it was caused by carelessness.

I was watching Fox News and Neil Cavuto had on a guest who tried to point out that other churches in France have been attacked and one in Paris last month had been set afire by what the Paris authorities say was caused by arson.  Cavuto cut the guest off, not wanting to go there.  Cavuto actually took him off the air and went to another guest.  I can understand why Fox News doesn't want to get into any such speculation at this point in the story. 

The history that will be lost and the artifacts is heart braking.

I dearly pray that they find it was accidental and not deliberate.  I'm a non practicing Catholic but nevertheless recognize its importance as a symbol as are so many others like it.  t will be expensive, but look at so many others that were practically destroyed in WWII and have been since restored to their former glory.   But somebody's going to lose his job, that's fer sure, that's fer danged sure!

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I herd a news report that said the fire fighters could not get to it for over two hours because people were blocking the streets trying to see it, get video/pictures.

The streets around the cathedral are very narrow and there a few bridges that must be crossed.

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I herd a news report that said the fire fighters could not get to it for over two hours because people were blocking the streets trying to see it, get video/pictures.

The streets around the cathedral are very narrow and there a few bridges that must be crossed.

That I can believe.  :(  It also makes me very very sad that a good portion of the world thinks that posting a video to social media is more important than rendering aid or keeping out of the way so that first responders can get to the scene.

My Wife and I got married in Germany in 1980 at 0700 in the morning in the town of Zweibrucken. We took  and express Train to Paris and spent a week there. The second day in Paris we went to the Dom and spent three hours there; we are not Catholic, but it was an amazing place. It sickens my heart to see it burn, no matter how it started. Devastating to the French.  Hoss C. 

A bit of good news:  

François-Henri Pinault — chairman and CEO of Kering, the French-based luxury group behind Gucci, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent and other world-renowned brands — has pledged over $110 million towards the rebuilding of the Notre Dame cathedral.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/jesus-christs-crown-of-thorns-likely-destroyed-in-notre-dame-fire/news-story/479c5ced6b0ec8be4821e11fc694bc99  

Parisian firefighters have put their lives on the line to save some of the world’s most priceless relics, forming a human chain inside the burning Notre Dame to salvage Jesus Christ’s Crown of Thorns.

Mayor Anne Hidalgo thanked the city’s first responders in a tweet, revealing they had formed a “formidable human chain to save the works” of Notre Dame.

“The Crown of Thorns, the tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works are now in a safe place,” Ms Hidalgo wrote in a translated tweet.

Merci aux @PompiersParis, aux policiers et aux agents municipaux qui ont réalisé ce soir une formidable chaîne humaine pour sauver les œuvres de #NotreDame. La couronne d'épines, la tunique de Saint Louis et plusieurs autres œuvres majeures sont à présent en lieu sûr.

Father Fournier, Chaplain of the Paris Firefighters, told reporters he went into the burning cathedral to save the Blessed Sacrament and Crown of Thorns.

The tunic of Saint Louis, another prized — and saved — French relic, has been dated back to the 13th century.

Fears were growing that Jesus Christ’s Crown of Thorns could’ve been destroyed in the devastating Notre Dame fire after the blaze gutted much of the cathedral’s roof and toppled its spire.

3 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I dearly pray that they find it was accidental and not deliberate.  I'm a non practicing Catholic but nevertheless recognize its importance as a symbol as are so many others like it.  t will be expensive, but look at so many others that were practically destroyed in WWII and have been since restored to their former glory.   But somebody's going to lose his job, that's fer sure, that's fer danged sure!

Imagine being the guy who did it and having to explain for the rest of his life how he managed to burn the Notre Dame Cathedral down. That would really suck.

Seeing how that went up makes me wonder and hope that the club house/barn here never catches fire. It's 160+ years old and the beams and uprights are hand hewn and most likely extremely dried out. probably wouldn't last long:rolleyes::huh::(:blush:

17 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

While they do think it was a construction accident, I wouldn't put it past them cockroach terrorists that have been doing so much damage in France.

3 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

That's a plus,Joe:blush:

It seems that many of the relics and works of art were saved.  Including, maybe, the organ.  Also, the main altar.
https://people.com/travel/notre-dame-theatre-artifacts-saved-some-uncertain-crown-of-thorns/

http://fortune.com/2019/04/16/notre-dame-fire-saved-relics-crown-of-thorns/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-cathedral-on-fire-crucifix-altar-cross-paris/

Sts. Michael, Barbara, and Florian were working overtime to protect the crazy-brave firefighters who went in and saved the relics and art.

Archived