SASS Wire Forum

Notre Dame Cathedral is burning!

Utah Bob #35998

17 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

I've been watching it on Fox.  Lot's of unanswered questions about the fire dept's apparent, alleged, reportedly lack of response.

My first thought was that they never anticipated a fire of this magnitude, even though there are a number of high rise buildings in Paris. Had this been a major city in the states I believe the response would have been different.

All of the footage I’m seeing is from ground level. No helicopters at all; neither new media nor police/fire?

900 years of history! What a shame.

Just now, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Uh-oh....huge array of scaffolding on the roof; what do you bet they'll blame the contractor?

LL

Most probably. It happens all the time. New construction or renovation. Welding sparks, a hot rivet dropped, etc.

I suspect arson. 

Google "Churches attacks in France."

Numerous churches have been attacked in France.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

If it was accidental, could you imagine being pointed out as the clod who burned down Notre Dame Cathedral...?  :huh:

On the other hand, if it was arson... I suspect the French will be a mite incensed.  <_<

Having toured the Dom Cathedral in Germany, I understand when they say access to the roof of those old cathedrals is often limited to very narrow enclosed stairways and a fire in the wrong spot could really make it dang near impossible to get at right away.One report I saw said they even tried to get water from fire boats on the Seine 

Some brightness in the gloom:

François-Henri Pinault — chairman and CEO of Kering, the French-based luxury group behind Gucci, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent and other world-renowned brands — has pledged over $110 million towards the rebuilding of the Notre Dame cathedral.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/jesus-christs-crown-of-thorns-likely-destroyed-in-notre-dame-fire/news-story/479c5ced6b0ec8be4821e11fc694bc99  

Parisian firefighters have put their lives on the line to save some of the world’s most priceless relics, forming a human chain inside the burning Notre Dame to salvage Jesus Christ’s Crown of Thorns.

Mayor Anne Hidalgo thanked the city’s first responders in a tweet, revealing they had formed a “formidable human chain to save the works” of Notre Dame.

“The Crown of Thorns, the tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works are now in a safe place,” Ms Hidalgo wrote in a translated tweet.

Merci aux @PompiersParis, aux policiers et aux agents municipaux qui ont réalisé ce soir une formidable chaîne humaine pour sauver les œuvres de #NotreDame. La couronne d'épines, la tunique de Saint Louis et plusieurs autres œuvres majeures sont à présent en lieu sûr.

Father Fournier, Chaplain of the Paris Firefighters, told reporters he went into the burning cathedral to save the Blessed Sacrament and Crown of Thorns.

The tunic of Saint Louis, another prized — and saved — French relic, has been dated back to the 13th century.

Fears were growing that Jesus Christ’s Crown of Thorns could’ve been destroyed in the devastating Notre Dame fire after the blaze gutted much of the cathedral’s roof and toppled its spire.

8 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I suspect arson. 

Google "Churches attacks in France."

Numerous churches have been attacked in France.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

If so, by whom...There is a large group, that do not churches...Might get messy...

Texas Lizard

Archived