SASS Wire Forum

357 vs 45LC comparison update?

Wolf Parker

I hate cleaning guns. Started this game with 45 Colt. At the pressures and velocity we shoot this game, the brass simply doesn't expand enough to seal the chamber. Huge blow back into the action. Switched to 38-40 (38wcf) and 44-40 (44wcf). Extreme thin brass expands at our pressures and seal the chamber. After a few thousand rounds I might clean a rifle and the internals look unfired!

Some folks say hard to reload. I've loaded over 25,000 38wcf on a LEE 1000 and not lost any cases because of thinness. 

I suggest 44wcf because there are many more guns available in this caliber currently.

Howdy

I don't own any rifles chambered for 45 Colt. Most of my CAS rifles are 44-40, with the exception of a couple of original 38-40 Winchesters.

Yes, 44-40 is cleaner to shoot than 45 Colt. As Roy said, the thinness of the brass at the case mouth makes it expand better at the low pressures we shoot at, so it will seal the chamber of a rifle better. This means in a rifle there will be almost no blow by so the mechanism will stay cleaner. Not so much with a revolver since a rifle is a closed system, but the revolver barrel/cylinder gap will allow fouling to get all over the place even with 44-40 or 38-40.

I will add that I only shoot Black Powder in CAS, so keeping the mechanism clean during a shoot is a major factor for me.

However, I will disagree with Roy about the 44-40 not being hard to reload. I always say it is fussier to reload than a cartridge such as 45 Colt or 38 Special. This is because of the thin brass at the case mouth. It is easy to crumple the neck of a 44-40 if your dies are not adjusted properly, or if you run your reloader too fast, particularly with a progressive press. I loaded a batch of 44-40 last night, and even though I have been loading the round for a zillion years, I managed to mangle one.  But if you go slow and don't rush, AND IF YOU HAVE YOUR DIES ADJUSTED CORRECTLY, 44-40 is not difficult to reload.

But it is fussy.

I still it's more than that because you have to factor I brass.....since it critical to shooting. Once fired 45LC brass $25 per 100. 38 $29 for 500.

Lead 45 LC $52 for 500  38 $36 for 500

Then you have to use almost 2X the powder like 3 grains to 5 and that will add up as well.

Then if you and your wife shoot every weekend you have to double all of that cost again. I'm not saying it's a fortune you save but there are real savings when shooting 38. 

I agree that .45 Colt in a rifle does generate blowby,but annealing your brass will eliminate most of the problem.Does add an extra step but if you're going to shoot that caliber it's well worth the time invested.

Choctaw Jack 

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

My question is whats the big deal ? so it costs a bit more to shoot what you want . :huh::FlagAm:

45 Colt can and does shoot just as "clean" as 44-40 or 38-40 or 38.  Just an extra step.  Maybe.  I have two methods to mitigate blow-by.  Method #1).  Start with 44-40 cases and blow em out to 45 Colt.  Really very simple and VERY effective.  Method #2).  Annealing the cases.  I shoot 45 Colt cases, 45 Schofield cases and C45S cases with NO Blow-By.  Light loads, heavy loads .... no matter.  No Blow-by.  Shoot what you like.  It's a GAME.  Remember that part.  It's a GAME.  Have fun.  If you're not going to have fun, don't play the game.  Simple.

Reloading, regardless of caliber does NOT save you money.  In the long run, reloading allows you to SHOOT MORE!!  Enjoy.

PS:  Forgot.  I also shoot BP and Subs.  Mostly I shoot APP.  When you shoot BP or Subs, you HAVE to clean your guns.  Cleaning up after BP or Subs is really simple and quick.  Easier and faster than with that Heathen Fad Smokeless stuff.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
37 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

45 Colt can and does shoot just as "clean" as 44-40 or 38-40 or 38.  Just an extra step.  Maybe.  I have two methods to mitigate blow-by.  Method #1).  Start with 44-40 cases and blow em out to 45 Colt.  Really very simple and VERY effective.  Method #2).  Annealing the cases.  I shoot 45 Colt cases, 45 Schofield cases and C45S cases with NO Blow-By.  Light loads, heavy loads .... no matter.  No Blow-by.  Shoot what you like.  It's a GAME.  Remember that part.  It's a GAME.  Have fun.  If you're not going to have fun, don't play the game.  Simple.

Reloading, regardless of caliber does NOT save you money.  In the long run, reloading allows you to SHOOT MORE!!  Enjoy.

PS:  Forgot.  I also shoot BP and Subs.  Mostly I shoot APP.  When you shoot BP or Subs, you HAVE to clean your guns.  Cleaning up after BP or Subs is really simple and quick.  Easier and faster than with that Heathen Fad Smokeless stuff.

WELL SAID :FlagAm:

There are so many more interesting cartridges than just .45 and .38/.357.  While the straight-walled cartridges, (don't forget .44!), are easiest to load, there is so much more available.  Explore before buying.  I saw one fellow post on another forum that he was into "historically correct", and was kicking himself for buying a rifle in .45

Archived