SASS Wire Forum

Tower Enfield 3 band marked 1860

So there I was...

Sitting at my civilian job as a defense contractor, when two military folks came in to ask me what this firearm is.  It's an 1853 Tower Enfield (marked 1860), 3-band.  Apparently, some colonel is PCS'ing and dumped a bunch of stuff in the dumpster.  So now this firearm is MINE!!!!  He also left behind some tools, a hockey stick autographed by Wayne Gretzky, a Trek bicycle, and more good stuff.  I got the gun!

The ram rod is missing.  The barrel bands are quite loose and one of them has stripped threads.  But they are all original as indicated by the crown markings.  The crown marking is still visible on the stock.  The action seems to work but is a little gummy.  I'm going to disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning and lubrication; then I anticipate it will work quite well.

My friend, a gunsmith, is going to borescope it for me this afternoon and determine whether it is safe to shoot.  If so, they guys who found it (and said I can have it) are going to the range with me to shoot the heck out of it!

Enfield 1.jpg

Enfield 2.jpg

Sweeeeeet! Dixie Gun Works might have a ramrod. 

BP and a .577 Minie ball and you’re good to go as long as the barrel is okay.

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Sweeeeeet! Dixie Gun Works might have a ramrod. 

BP and a .577 Minie ball and you’re good to go as long as the barrel is okay.

I checked.  $19.95 :)

I'll wait for my friend to bore scope it before I ruin it.

You know this means you won’t win the lottery, right? :rolleyes:

That is a piece of good luck there. I hope you get to shoot it. That would be very cool. B)

Make up some linen cartridges for authenticity. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You know this means you won’t win the lottery, right? :rolleyes:

That is a piece of good luck there. I hope you get to shoot it. That would be very cool. B)

Since I don't play the lottery, I'd say I got the better deal!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be a wet blanket, but that one looks like a Kyber Pass Special from Afghanistan. The bolster, where the nipple, or cone, screws in doesn't look right to me. Also, the hammer looks like it was modified for a Snyder conversion. I spent three years in Afghanistan and never did find a 1853 pattern Enfield that was all correct. I have shot in the North-South Skirmish Association off and on since 1970 and have looked at and fired a number of original Enfields.

The Afghans were good about taking pieces of original guns and mating them with home grown parts. Parts of your rifle musket look correct, but others don't. Please err on the side of safety.

Archived