SASS Wire Forum

What a difference a letter makes

Alpo

When I was quite young, my mother and my brother read many library books by Joseph A. Altshelter. They had no interest for me.

Couple of years ago I was in the "we're getting rid of our old books so these are for sale" section at the library, and found one of them. Only cost a dollar so I bought it. DAMN that was a good book.

I was quite amazed to find that they were written around the turn of the century. Then it occurred to me that if they were that old, they were in the public domain, and I could probably find downloadable free ebooks of them.

I found one. I tried Gutenberg. I tried Feedbooks. I tried The Faded Page - that's where I found the one.

I finally Googled JOSEPH A. ALTSHELTER EBOOKS.

Google said SEARCHING FOR JOSEPH A. ALTSHELER EBOOKS.

Not AltshelTer. Altsheler.

Gutenberg had 37 of them.

So let that be a lesson for you boys and girls. When you're trying to find something, spell it correctly.

My wife texted me last week that she was “ticked” about something. I quickly called back hoping to slay whatever dragon was causing angst at the moment. 

She answered the phone cheerfully with laud about her day. When I inquired what she might be ticked at, confusion reigned until she re-read her text. 

The desired adjective had been “tickled”, but autocorrect had dropped the “l”.

But for a letter....

Archived