SASS Wire Forum

Herding Bison

Wapaloosie73

Very nice.  A perfect start to a new week.

Love them Buff!

Many Thanks Pard.

ML

My old stomping grounds. Spent lots of time over in the Great Sand Dunes in my younger years. Big herds of elk called the ranch home also as did lots of antelope.

Thanks for  showing that. Carson Nat Forest has a herd of buffalo thanks to Ted Turner putting them behind regular barbed wire. That didn't even slow them down.

A few years ago a group of guys camping close to us decided to make like "Dances with Wolves" and chase the buffalo. My pard told them that's not a good idea, but did they listen? No, so off they went. Came back riding double on a horse. Seems one moron ran at a bull buffalo, and the buff gutted his horse, pert near got the moron. They were from NJ so their license plates said. That's called learning the hard way. We thought too bad it was the horse that had to be shot.

1 hour ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Thanks for  showing that. Carson Nat Forest has a herd of buffalo thanks to Ted Turner putting them behind regular barbed wire. That didn't even slow them down.

A few years ago a group of guys camping close to us decided to make like "Dances with Wolves" and chase the buffalo. My pard told them that's not a good idea, but did they listen? No, so off they went. Came back riding double on a horse. Seems one moron ran at a bull buffalo, and the buff gutted his horse, pert near got the moron. They were from NJ so their license plates said. That's called learning the hard way. We thought too bad it was the horse that had to be shot.

Right?

Wild animals. My daughter competed in High School rodeo for 4 years. We got her a new cutting horse that needed some training. The guy used buffalo calves until they were about 1 year old. They moved faster and would try to take the horse out. Very aggressive and didn't take any crap from anyone. As in don't try to herd them or get int eh arena to lead them out. After they hit 1 year he returned them to the ranch he got them from. They were too dangerous for anything at that point.

The horse did learn to move fast and focus, focus , focus.  After that cutting cows was like dealing with snails.

Ike

Archived