SASS Wire Forum

Colt New Frontier .22lr

Duster Tom

Have someone offering me a New Frontier .22 lr 6" barrel for $525. Gun is in excellent shape. My question is does anyone have experience with the model built 1982 and on with the cross-bolt safety? Waiting now for the SN to confirm if it has one.

Other than the sights, they are no different from contemporary .22's made by Colt in a more standard configuration.   I've got 2, and find them to be excellent pistols.   As to price, well, I've seen the cost of Peacemaker and New Frontier .22's all over the map, but that looks to be an about average price that I see for them.   As far as a "cross bolt safety" goes, are you referring to how the firing pin is mounted in the frame instead of on the hammer?  That's not really a safety, just a modification of how the .22s work.

Which is fine.

No as I understand it the cross bolt safety is something in the loading gate slot you need to depress in order to load.

The Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22's were produced continuously from 1970 until 1977. Production of the New Frontier .22 resumed in 1982 and ran for several more years. These 2nd generation guns incorporated a superfluous cross-bolt safety. This was a response to the Age of Frivolous Litigation that had by then engulfed the firearms industry.

SOURCE

14 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

When loading the safety is pushed into the frame, i.e. it's a hammer block.  When the pistol is loaded and cocked, the bar moves back as pictured so the pistol can fire.

So, this contraption is to keep the gun from firing only when you're in the process of reloading?  Seems odd at best.

Just now, Marshal Hangtree said:

So, this contraption is to keep the gun from firing only when you're in the process of reloading?  Seems odd at best.

Yes and no.  The hammer is also blocked until the pistol is cocked.  That way it can be carried with all chambers loaded.

17 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Even after reading about it a bit, I'm unclear as to what it was supposed to do...?

NewFrontier.jpg

Curious.  Neither of my pistols has this feature.   Nor does my brother's for that matter.  In fact, I have never even SEEN this feature before.  I guess they must all be older models.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Curious.  Neither of my pistols has this feature.   Nor does my brother's for that matter.  In fact, I have never even SEEN this feature before.  I guess they must all be older models.

I use THIS LINK to verify dates of manufacture for my Colts.

(my SA Frontier Scout was made in 1965)

ok , but is this not a single action revolver ? do you not have to cockiyt to shoot it ? or am i missing something in these later revolvers ??? mine are all pre 68 so perhaps there were changes made ? 

Archived