SASS Wire Forum

French and Indian War

My historical knowledge is concentrated on the Revolutionary War / origins of the US Constitution, Civil War, and WW2.  Every now and then I grab a book on a random historical topic; recently I read a book on the Salem witch trials (not the Crucible, but rather a real historical source).  What I'd like to do next is read up on the French and Indian War.  I know it significantly influenced (or perhaps CAUSED) the Revolutionary War, but my knowledge of it is still rather limited.  All I ever read about is Washington's participation in Braddock's expedition.

What is a good, one-book (no matter how big) source which covers the French and Indian War from beginning to end?

An excellent start would be “Wilderness Empire” by Allan Eckert.  It is an unusual approach to history, written a bit like a novel with dialogue and descriptions but reportedly 100% backed by historical research. Much of it concerns the Indian Agent and honorary Iroquois William Johnson of upstate NY and his dealings with both red and white men, particularly the Iroquois nations. At 600 plus pages it’s a bit of a door stop but, published in the 1960s, it reveals a compelling story fairly from all points of view without a trace of current historical revisionism or PC BS. 

Seamus

I second anything by Allen Eckert.  His style is “historic dialogue”,where he puts you in situations as if they would have really happened.  His research is meticulous, and his style is such that he makes for a fascinating read.  Definitely not a fact-filled-but-dry-as-dirt history text book.

I still count “The Frontiersman” as one of my favorites ever.  Tecumseh, Simon Kenton, and Daniel Boone come absolutely to life in the interactions that occurred in the Ohio/Kentucky area.

Google in Fort de Chartres for information on the French living neat St. Louis during that period. 

The fort is restored to a degree and the have information available to the public on campus. 

My understanding is that the French and Indian war is just an overflow of the 40 Years War into the colonies.  Any understanding of the F&IW should start with the war in Europe of which it was a sideshow.

A quick interesting snapshot is the 90s movie of "The Last of the Mohicans".

Archived