SASS Wire Forum

New Holsters?

David Balthazar

A few months ago I purchased a complete EL Paso Saddlery Hellfire rig in black (for a great price and was even already customized) but the holsters were for a 5.5 inch barrels.  I did so knowing eventually I would sell them and go with some holsters for 4.75 inch barrles.  So the holsters new will run me $330 a pair, and was wondering if there is a holster you are familiar with comparable/better/cheaper but delivers the same things in a comp rig many look for (reinforced open top, shank to adjust angles, negative cant)?

It really is hard to gauge through pics, as leather is definitely something that begs to be touched and tried.  Still, the cumulative knowledge here has served me so well in the past, I again humbly request your advice :)

Hellfire rig webpage for reference:

https://epsaddlery.com/product/hellfire-competition-rig-holster-only/

Unless you do not like the Black holsters why change.   I have been using the 5.5" holsters since I started.   They fit both my Colt 5.5" SAA and my Ruger NMV 4.75" .  By the way Nice looking Holsters.   Driftwood Dan

2 thoughts come to my mind.

1. Why the need for the 4.75" holsters? 5.5" work well with shorter barrel guns. 

2. If you going to sell the 5.5" Hellfire holsters.. what are you asking for them!:)

I was at EPS and they frowned on cutting them down when I asked them--Idon't recall why.  They may even be like "use them and then sell them when you order the proper length pair?"

I do not like the look of the 5.5's especially since I currently own a pair of 3.75s.  I will be getting another pair of 4.75s so I figure that length is the way to go.  I like all 'me weapons short barreled and short length of pull.  My Brother Nelson, not so much.  He is more of the long distance man.  Myself as a prior Pinkerton operating in the confines of New York City, I often had to conceal large, hard caliber weapontry under my longcoat and grew to appreciate appreciated brevity of both barrel, and stock.

If I sell them both for $200 in U.S. currency for the pair plus shipping.  The rawhide has some factory stain on it (which can be easily rectified), and since I have only used them once they are in great condition (in fact, I have conditioned them twice so they look better than when I received them).

But other similar holsters choices?

Mernickel Leather will make you anything you like. holsters only run $130-170 very thick, lined, and stiff. Choice of four colors and he'll make them as long or short as you like. Personally 3/4" on a holster is not worth fussing over, but to each their own. 

I shoot 3-3/4" NMV's.  I had a bad experience with some holsters I have (dropped an unloaded gun as it fell out of the holster when running).

For me, I use the Kirkpatrick LH-09 holsters.  they have a tension screw to adjust the hold on the pistol.  I have tried a number of others, and I am sticking with Kirkpatrick just for this reason.

I'm hard on holsters!  These are about 4 years old.

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

9 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

I shoot 3-3/4" NMV's.  I had a bad experience with some holsters I have (dropped an unloaded gun as it fell out of the holster when running).

For me, I use the Kirkpatrick LH-09 holsters.  they have a tension screw to adjust the hold on the pistol.  I have tried a number of others, and I am sticking with Kirkpatrick just for this reason.

I'm hard on holsters!  These are about 4 years old.

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Good lord!! Bevel your cylinders and ejector rod housings.  

15 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I’ve had Jimmy build race pistols for me also. There is probably still an edge you can radius. I did mine on a scotch brite wheel 

Any chance you can snap a picture and post it?  I do notice the leading edge of the cylinder 'could' be relieved a bit, but hesitant to relieve it much.

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Archived