SASS Wire Forum

Books...

Ive been reading a few detective and PI books. In quite a few of them our good guys before entering a house or getting ready for action pull out their Glocks, and chamber a round. That means they have been carrying their firearm in a basically useless condition! In 28 years of LE, I ALWAYS carried my semi-auto with a round in the chamber. Never had a Glock, but I carried S&W semi-autos, SIG's and my favorite which I still carry, my Colt Commander, with a round in the chamber!

Don't authors do research?

Anyone here carry their semi-auto with no round in the chamber? And why do you?

Am I starting to sound like Alpo?:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Anyone here carry their semi-auto with no round in the chamber? And why do you?

Am I starting to sound like Alpo?:rolleyes:

No. If it’s getting carried it has a round in the chamber and the mag is topped off.

You have 24,999 questions more to go to get into “Alpo territory”. :lol:

Even then you would probably have a ways to go. :P

The hypothetical semi-auto always has round in the chamber.

The vast majority of authors know nothing about firearms and don't make an effort to research them either.

My non SASS revolvers always have a round in the chamber. Why wouldn't my semi-autos?

Oh wait, I see the problem...

I'm not a book writer.

Hmm.

Can't speak for authors, other than lack of knowledge.

However, in movies and tv, it's very common for the director to overrule the armorer and/or technical advisor with the statement that chambering a round makes it "more dramatic" to the audience.

13 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

With a DA revolver, if you don’t put a round under the hammer, it still goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Yeah, I know that. Why would I want to short myself 1 round in a DA carry gun?

In one episode of Firefly the bad guy has his shotgun returned to him after being in jail for a bunch of years, doesn't check to see if it's loaded and proceeds to rack it a half dozen times and it is heard to be racked a few more times when he doesn't even touch the slide.

Ain't movies and TV series truly educational?

Original pistol I was told no round in the chamber: therefore double tap.  Current carry gun: round in the chamber: therefore, double tap.

"IF" I were to carry a firearm for EDC, it would be fully stoked. The cylinder fully loaded in a revolver, or a topped off mag with a round in the chamber in a semi-auto. Chances are, if I needed a defensive sidearm, I would need it immediately, and I might not have the time or presence of mind to cycle the action. But, since I'm really just a non-violent pacifist who wants to be left alone, I would never carry a firearm. That's how you get into trouble. It creates a "Wild West" mentality. Just ask any progressive politician, they'll tell you.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, Chantry said:

The vast majority of authors know nothing about firearms and don't make an effort to research them either.

how true. But then, there's the exception of Stephen Hunter, who created Bob Lee & Earl Swagger. I think that guy researched out to the nth degree.

20 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

how true. But then, there's the exception of Stephen Hunter, who created Bob Lee & Earl Swagger. I think that guy researched out to the nth degree.

One of my favorite adventure writers. On par with Tom Clancy. 

Archived