SASS Wire Forum

You snooze, you lose

Utah Bob #35998

At the gun show last night there were very few military C&Rs. The crowd was pretty small too.Then I spotted an 1898 Krag on a table. Looked very good. No cracks or pitting. I walked two tables down to see if there was anything else interesting. Came back not more than 3 minutes later reaching for my wallet. It was gone. That'll teach me.  My instinct told me to grab it. My mind said "Hold on just a minute. There might be something better over here". Always listen to your instinct. I should know that at my age. :angry:

I looked at a match grade 1903 Springfield on the used rifle rack at the soft opening of the Cabelas store in Hamburg, PA, a number of years ago.  I walked past it twice and when I returned a third time intending to buy it, in the space of 20 minutes, it was gone. 

The crowd was so small I thought I was safe. Wrong.

At the last gunshow I attended, I made my swap/purchase within 10 minutes, with the dealer closest to the door.

I also proposed to my wife 5 weeks after our first date, and our 49th anniversary will be in June.

Some would say I’m impulsive.  I prefer “decisive.”  :lol:

Good luck at the next show.  I’m sure you will get another chance.

I walked away from a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 for $425 in 1999 at the Anaheim Gun Show. I kid you not. 

The guy at the table sold AR-15s took the Sharps in on trade. He just wanted $425. He had no idea what it was worth.  I didn’t have the money and moved on...about 35 feet. I decided to go back and put $200 down to hold it until I could get to an ATM.

There was a man at the table peeling twenties into the salesman’s hand.

I should have never walked away.

Archived