Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Why can't I find what I want?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I can't be the only person in this country of 330+ million people who is looking for something like I want.

 

First: I DO NOT WANT anything that works from a Smart Phone or other computerized device.

 

Second: I DO NOT WANT anything hard-wired.

 

Third: I DO NOT WANT anything that requires more complicated than a garage door opener to operate.

 

I'm looking for a way to turn my workshop external floodlights on and off from the house about forty yards away.  I can open my garage door from 200 feet up the street with a single push of a button on my visor, so why can't I find a way to do this simple task.  I have had professional electricians tell me no such thing exists.  I don't believe them on two counts: 1. that the thing doesn't exist and 2. that they are in any way knowledgable about their craft.

 

I've worn out a keyboard trying to find this on the internet.

 

I'm open to suggestions.

 

Thanks.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, basically you want a stand alone remote controlled light switch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

 

I can't be the only person in this country of 130+ million people who is looking for something like I want.

 

 

I hate to be the one to tell ya this, but I think you're a mite behind on current events...   :rolleyes:

 

I think we hit the 130+ million mark around 1940.  U. S. population is now over 327 million.

 

Yikes!   :blink:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

I hate to be the one to tell ya this, but I think you're a mite behind on current events...   :rolleyes:

 

I think we hit the 130+ million mark around 1940.  U. S. population is now over 327 million.

 

Yikes!   :blink:

 

The + accounts for the additional 197,200,000.    ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WOW-Doesn't 4t-rod still used candles for lighting.......:lol::P

OLG

 

Yes, and he wants to be able to light them from 200 feet away. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is an idea, 40 Rod.  See if you can find an old garage door opener on Craigslist.  Who cares if the motor doesn't work?  All you need is the remote receiver off of it, then wire that to your outdoor lights.  Even if it doesn't come with the original remote clicker, you can buy the generic remotes at Lowes or Home Depot.

Edited by Marshal Hangtree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry, but switches that control hard wired lights, have to be hard wired to the system.  A held held remote control is a transmitter.  There has to be a receiver on the other end to activate the lights, or open a garage door.  The motor that opens a garage door has a receiver in the housing that turns the motor on and off. 

Edited by Tex Jones, SASS 2263

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

 

Yes, and he wants to be able to light them from 200 feet away. :D

Simple-Use a flare gun:lol:

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Sorry, but switches that control hard wired lights, have to be hard wired to the system.  A held held remote control is a transmitter.  There has to be a receiver on the other end to activate the lights, or open a garage door.  The motor that opens a garage door has a receiver in the housing that turns the motor on and off. 

That's what Hangtree was talking about. The receiver from a door opener.

I think that would be possible but the wiring schematic might be might be above my skill level.

I'm sure there's an engineer here who could tell you how to do it.

Now, whether or not it would be in understandable English is another thing altogether. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Only good for about 30'.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

  Enough! this technology has been out there for years. they make a kit that fits into the lite canopy with a remote Same idea as fan,light remote controls. Any good elec. Supply house should be able to help remote works up to about 50 ft away. :FlagAm: 

 OH,  and find a  new Electrician.

Edited by Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not call an Electrician....Tell them what you want...They should have an answer for you...

 

Texas Lizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

I hate to be the one to tell ya this, but I think you're a mite behind on current events...   :rolleyes:

 

I think we hit the 130+ million mark around 1940.  U. S. population is now over 327 million.

 

Yikes!   :blink:

 

Meant to type 330 million.  It's been changed.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

  Enough! this technology has been out there for years. they make a kit that fits into the lite canopy with a remote Same idea as fan,light remote controls. Any good elec. Supply house should be able to help remote works up to about 50 ft away. :FlagAm: 

 OH,  and find a  new Electrician.

But what’s the range?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

 

58 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Only good for about 30'.

OLG

It says 100 feet. Might be enough.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

 

It says 100 feet. Might be enough.

OK-Great.

The 30' remark was from the question and answer section.

I didn't see the 100' range spec.

Found and confirm the 100' range spec.

I didn't go all the way to the bottom of the page-:huh::rolleyes::lol:

My wife:wub: married a DORK...............:D

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Here is an idea, 40 Rod.  See if you can find an old garage door opener on Craigslist.  Who cares if the motor doesn't work?  All you need is the remote receiver off of it, then wire that to your outdoor lights.  Even if it doesn't come with the original remote clicker, you can buy the generic remotes at Lowes or Home Depot.

 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That's what Hangtree was talking about. The receiver from a door opener.

I think that would be possible but the wiring schematic might be might be above my skill level.

I'm sure there's an engineer here who could tell you how to do it.

Now, whether or not it would be in understandable English is another thing altogether. :P

 

1 hour ago, Tequila Jim #14501 said:

Can you find a way to tie the lights into the garage door opener ?

TJ

 

It would work with a low wattage bulb. Probably 60 watt max although you might get lucky and get it to support a 100 watt bulb..  The circuitry on the control board would fail if you tried to use it to control a couple of 200 plus watt flood lights. 

 

Unless the board was modified the light would automatically turn off after a couple of minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Both claim a range of 80 feet.

 

i would wire it.

 

I initially read his post as forty feet, not forty yards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

But what’s the range?

 

 I wrote about 50 ft  :FlagAm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 40 Rod. What ya have is a bunch of real helpful people being not very helpful, but with great intentions. We just wanna help!

I was a forklift mechanic, I can be of NO help. Let us know if ya get this sorted out, we will suggest it to the next person with an unusual request.

 

Imis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could get a monkey and train it.

Perhaps there’s an idea in the Rube Goldberg files that would help. Strings, cables, pulleys, counterweights, etc. probably wouldn’t be pretty though. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WOW-Doesn't 4t-rod still used candles for lighting.......:lol::P

OLG

And an outhouse.:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.