SASS Wire Forum

Credit card company is losing it

Alpo

I tried to buy some gas today, and my card was declined because it had expired. So I just got off the phone with the credit card company, wanting to know why they didn't send me a new card.

They said they sent me a new card, with a chip in it, back in 2015. But I never activated it, so when the non-chip card expired last month they just never sent me another card.

Now it seems to me that if I sent a credit card to Hardpan, and he didn't activate it, I would get in touch with him and ask him if he had received it. That just seems like the intelligent way to do business.

Apparently not.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I tried to buy some gas today, and my card was declined because it had expired. So I just got off the phone with the credit card company, wanting to know why they didn't send me a new card.

They said they sent me a new card, with a chip in it, back in 2015. But I never activated it, so when the non-chip card expired last month they just never sent me another card.

Now it seems to me that if I sent a credit card to Hardpan, and he didn't activate it, I would get in touch with him and ask him if he had received it. That just seems like the intelligent way to do business.

Apparently not.

No offense intended but you're not the only customer they have! Do you really expect them to call everyone that doesn't activate their cards? :o They have hundreds of thousands of card holders!

23 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No offense intended but you're not the only customer they have! Do you really expect them to call everyone that doesn't activate their cards? :o They have hundreds of thousands of card holders!

Actually, they can "get in touch" by numerous methods, not just calling. Computer generated emails, computer generated snail mail... So, yes, it would seem reasonable that if the card weren't activated within a specified time of mailing, that a follow up were to go out.

12 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Actually, they can "get in touch" by numerous methods, not just calling. Computer generated emails, computer generated snail mail... So, yes, it would seem reasonable that if the card weren't activated within a specified time of mailing, that a follow up were to go out.

And just WHY would you be such a buzzkill to ol Rye? Why would you use facts and reason in the Saloon!?!?

ORRRR Alpo and I could have just activated our cards on time. LOL

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

And just WHY would you be such a buzzkill to ol Rye? Why would you use facts and reason in the Saloon!?!?

I'm sorry... I'll just go write "facts and reason don't belong in the Saloon" 100 times on the chalkboard.

Will someone point me to the chalkboard?

11 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Point I was trying to make, was I never GOT the card they sent me four years ago.

It just seemed like they would have noticed.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Point I was trying to make, was I never GOT the card they sent me four years ago.

Ahhhh. Gotcha.

4 years? Must be a pretty forgiving bank. 

My bank and one of my credit card companies canceled my cards at 3 and 4 months respectively. I never opened the envelopes that the cards came in. 

Wal heck, Alpo.  They DID try to get in touch wit' ya!  :huh:

They sent a letter to the same place they sent the card ~ and you didn't answer 'em!  ^_^

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's a Saloon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>

When Cabelas switched to Capitol One recently and sent me a new card I cut it up and canceled it. Not because I'm opposed to Capitol One mind you, but because I already have a Capitol One card and don't want two AND because I'm mad at Cabelas for selling out to Bass Pro. All that said, they did call shortly after they sent it to make sure I got it.

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

When Cabelas switched to Capitol One recently and sent me a new card I cut it up and canceled it. Not because I'm opposed to Capitol One mind you, but because I already have a Capitol One card and don't want two AND because I'm mad at Cabelas for selling out to Bass Pro. All that said, they did call shortly after they sent it to make sure I got it.

You must be a preferred customer.  Capital One sent a follow up letter, they have only called me about fraudulent charges.  With increasing print and postage costs, you'd think there would be more automated calls.  Maybe legal issues require the printed letters.

The Cabela family was trying to buy the company but Johnny Morris paired with Goldman Sachs before they got the capital.  The acquisition has not been favorable to the Cabela's customer base.  

Howdy,

No heads up with the BILL?

I got notes right in the bill telling me to activate the new card.

Hard to believe.

Best

CR

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

You never used your card after 2015?  If you were sent a new one then your old card would be nearing its expiration date. 

They sent me a card with a chip in 2015. My old non-chipped card was good through March of 2019. I just continued using the old card. They didn't cancel it when they sent me the new one, and since I didn't know there was a new one, I just kept using the old one. Until yesterday when the gas pump declined it because it was expired.

20 hours ago, DocWard said:

Apparently they didn't! Too many customers to worry about? That was my point, things get overlooked all the time with big companies. You can't expect them to contact every customer. Some WILL get overlooked!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Apparently they didn't! Too many customers to worry about? That was my point, things get overlooked all the time with big companies. You can't expect them to contact every customer. Some WILL get overlooked!

Will mistakes happen? Sure. Will accounts get overlooked? Sure. But in this digital age, it should be much less common. The fact it can happen doesn’t mean we should expect it to happen, and that it is reasonable to expect it to do so. That was my point, one on which we may simply disagree.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Alpo said:

That's the problem.  You're assuming too much.

26 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Will mistakes happen? Sure. Will accounts get overlooked? Sure. But in this digital age, it should be much less common. The fact it can happen doesn’t mean we should expect it to happen, and that it is reasonable to expect it to do so. That was my point, one on which we may simply disagree.

I admit to being electronically challenged, but it seems to me that it would be a relatively simple procedure to have a computer program in which the expiration date of every chipped credit card issued by a bank would be entered, and the program would continually scan all of the expiration dates, and if a card came to within 90 days of expiration without being activated, a text message, email and/or computer generated letter would go to the owner of the account stating that the credit card would be cancelled after 90 days if it was not activated, and if the owner was having a problem trying to activate the chipped card, the owner should call a certain phone number.  With all the computer whiz-bang kids around, how hard could that be?

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Should is the word here! Yes it should be less common but it isn’t. The credit card companies send out a card and it’s up to you to activate it. No activation no card, I don’t expect them to call me and ask why! So yes I do disagree with you. Have a great evening .

Archived