SASS Wire Forum

Painting galvanized metal

I painted an entire standing seam roof on a house with Rustoleum zinc based paint. I ordered it from Loews and it is very very heavy. Also it destroyed the piston in a commercial Graco paint sprayer (the sinc is like sand in your trucks oil). It worked great and has lasted. I did no prep.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

37 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Forty Rod,

Try spraying the galvanized with white vinegar,as an etching agent.Rinse with water,let dry and paint.

Choctaw Jack

What they said.

The tried and true method is to clean the metal with soap and water, oil has to be removed or nothing will stick, then etch the material with acetic acid, or white vinegar. Then, paint with zinc paint, there may be other products available today, epoxy paint. I'd try a small area in an indiscreet location first. 

My dad ran a painting business for years and I had to do all the crappy jobs. Although, in the painting industry they are all crappy jobs. 

6 hours ago, Kid Russell said:

I painted an entire standing seam roof on a house with Rustoleum zinc based paint. I ordered it from Loews and it is very very heavy. Also it destroyed the piston in a commercial Graco paint sprayer (the sinc is like sand in your trucks oil). It worked great and has lasted. I did no prep.

I worked in a steel fab plant just after I got out of the Navy and we on occasion painted with a product that we added about 5 lbs. of powdered zinc to a 5 gallon pail of paint. We had to mix it for about 15 minutes before we sprayed it. I don't remember the brand of sprayer we had but it delivered 4500 psi at the tip. It was an air driven piston pump. 

Archived