SASS Wire Forum

D.A.D. leather

Boomstick Bruce

So I found this brand of holsters on eBay. The guy makes them to order and they are quite expensive. Before I spend a pile of money on a rig, I'm looking for someone with experience with them. Anyone have this guy's holsters? Are they worth the $300 they will set me back? 

Thanks!

first time I have heard of them but that doesn't mean their products are not good.

we do have a large number of SASS member who 'dabble' in leather making.  A quick look through the Cowboy Chronicle will turn up a bunch.

Also most clubs will have a leather-maker among the membership.  Might want to check this out as you get to coon finger the products ahead of time.

Good leather does cost but I will last forever (unless you grow and there are ways to addressing the 'girth' situations.

We have 3 members in TRR that do top notch work.  If you're interested PM me for details--don'w want to violate rules and such on the wire.

cheyenne

I have it and he made it exactly as I asked. Looks good and fits well. I have a holster rig and matching shot gun belt, Be prepared as it takes time.

For a quality CAS rig, $300 is not "quite expensive". That's more in the moderate zone.

Ebay seems an odd place to order a CAS rig... And there a big difference between a good CAS rig and a "Western" rig.

Phantom

The better (for me) rigs have either steel or a high quality plastic sandwiched between the leather.  That enables them to hold their shape almost forever and the steel makes them a bit heavier.  Be prepared to spend $500 for a top quality rig.  Several that I can vouch for are Mernickle and Blocker used the krap out of them and they still work.   There are a number of others.

I have a rig from that maker. It's made of heavy decent quality leather and put together pretty well. The holsters aren't built for competition like a SASS specific leathermaker would make; fit and shape is different.

If I were going to buy from Ebay again I'd go with Red Dog who is more expensive or Utah Scout who may be even cheaper than D.A.D. Leather.

You probably have some local leather makers that would/could make you a nice rig and possibly cheaper.

Tombstone leather has started rigs at a good price and I've never heard a bad review of him. 

http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/StarterRig.html

This is the rig im getting but in the black and red like the second pic instead of the brown. I was going to get solid black but when the maker send the red and black pic I was sold!!! for those of you that have shot with me you know my outfit and look is kind of dark, evil and ominous... I wear all black, black pants, boots, black shirts, long black leather duster, black leather vest, (courtesy of trooper ozzy) and a black leather hat. eventually i'll be adding a Damascus and died bone handles straight razor as soon as I find a sheath, razor is also courtesy of trooper ozzy (its badass!!!!)... there are skulls on my guns, my bolo tie is a skull and I'm going to be adding imitation human finger bones for the buttons on my duster and a hatband made from bones and teeth strung together... unfortunately my current holsters are reddish brown but the whole rig cost me less than $80 and has worked well thus far...

for me the shooting and showing off the gear is the most fun, yes I would like to be faster and to win but its not going to happen any time soon if at all...

this is the steps I will be taking in the future when I feel my stuff is a MAJOR hindrance...

switch from 45colt to 38 or 32

switch from my kirst converted uberti 58's to colts, rugers or a pair of 75's with all the "fixin's"

switch from my rossi 92 to a short stroked '73

switch from my Baikal single trigger to a SKB 200

get "SASS" ready leather, i.e., mernickel, kirkpatrick etc...

in the meantime, im just still having fun finishing in the middle of the pack and building my "outfits"

"if you're going to be slow, you better look good doing it" -my dad

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

This is the rig im getting but in the black and red like the second pic instead of the brown. I was going to get solid black but when the maker send the red and black pic I was sold!!! for those of you that have shot with me you know my outfit and look is kind of dark, evil and ominous... I wear all black, black pants, boots, black shirts, long black leather duster, black leather vest, (courtesy of trooper ozzy) and a black leather hat. eventually i'll be adding a Damascus and died bone handles straight razor as soon as I find a sheath, razor is also courtesy of trooper ozzy (its badass!!!!)... there are skulls on my guns, my bolo tie is a skull and I'm going to be adding imitation human finger bones for the buttons on my duster and a hatband made from bones and teeth strung together... unfortunately my current holsters are reddish brown but the whole rig cost me less than $80 and has worked well thus far...

for me the shooting and showing off the gear is the most fun, yes I would like to be faster and to win but its not going to happen any time soon if at all...

this is the steps I will be taking in the future when I feel my stuff is a MAJOR hindrance...

switch from 45colt to 38 or 32

switch from my kirst converted uberti 58's to colts, rugers or a pair of 75's with all the "fixin's"

switch from my rossi 92 to a short stroked '73

switch from my Baikal single trigger to a SKB 200

get "SASS" ready leather, i.e., mernickel, kirkpatrick etc...

in the meantime, im just still having fun finishing in the middle of the pack and building my "outfits"

"if you're going to be slow, you better look good doing it" -my dad

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I almost ordered that rig last summer, instead I went with the cross-draw rig you can sort of see in my profile pic. I do like D.A.D.s "buscadero" holsters.

I tried an Ebay deal through RedDog leather and I can say Paul does excellent work. I now have purchased several items from him and they are all top notch. He will do custom work as well as his listed items, so I am having him make a holster from "Packing Iron" for me to use in Classic Cowboy. I know you weren't asking about him in particular, but I wanted to say that just because a maker uses Ebay as a sales venue doesn't mean that they are second rate. 

Thought I had replied to this post before but don’t see it now. Broomstick, please don’t let some of the posts intimidate you! Go for your choice of leather. Get what will make YOU happy!

broomstick - that is a quote worth remembering ""if you're going to be slow, you better look good doing it" -my dad" your dad got it right and ill requote him often - try to remember to give him credit , but i guarantee ill note that its a 'quote' from a smart fellow , i think ill start looking for some new leather to and my days with , 

Just a thought, if he hasn't started working on them yet, is he willing to place the holster slots where YOU want them?  I've seen custom buscadero rigs where instead of placed right down the pants seam, they placed them a little more forward some, where the shooter wanted 'em.  Is there any muzzle cant?  Would you like the maker to built some forward cant in?   Is the amount of drop right for you?  Everybody's arms are different.  You want your hands to be able to palm the guns without having to change position much.

I have purchased a DAD rig.

I wanted to get Painted Lady her own rig; but I could only afford an inexpensive rig AND I did not want to force her to continue using hand me down rigs.

Her belt and holsters with her name tooled on the belt were under $200.00

The belt and holsters are well tooled, the leather is of good quality and weight.

The sewing is straight and professional - these are not "made in Mexico" cardboard leather swap meet rigs.

That being said - they are Western holsters not necessarily CAS holsters.

The holsters are buckets and slightly oversized.

No big deal for a pistol simply sitting with a hammer thong on it - less desirable for secure competion pace reholstering and movement.

The holsters slide much too easily on the belt and the stiffness of the leather is such that the pistol weight is insufficient to pull the leather taut and keep their place on the belt.

All of these things can be fixed.

Some rough side out leather affixed in the holster to tighten the fit and provide some friction.

Some Chicago screws to secure the holsters to the belt.

But these are things that would not occur and I would not expect from a CAS leather maker.

I accepted the product and the required adjustments because I walked into the purchase with my eyes wide open and understood I was purchasing a decent new Western rig for less than half the price of a quality CAS rig.

I also understand and accept that at some point; when finances allow, I will have to upgrade Painted Lady. 

But at this time; it was more important to get her, her own rig than to get her the perfect rig.

I do not feel ripped off or cheated - it is a perfectly fine $200.00 holster rig.

But If someone was spending much more than the $200 mark; I would recommend other options.

Nimble, as a leather maker I believe you may be missing a point. Handgun rigs are similar to buying an out of the box 1894 Winchester to compete in SASS. Or a Henry. They work...……...to a point. 

When I get a new customer that is new to SASS, I have to restrain my comments because I am from the gamer family. I feel I have enough experience to know what is needed to be really competitive in SASS. But then, price does dictate purchases regardless of the benefits, or lack thereof, of the rig.  Because of that trait, I would never recommend some rigs for SASS competition. And I forget that some SASS members really like slim jim holsters :) Some pay exorbitant amounts to gain authenticity and forgo access and speed. 

There have been a few times I have come to my senses realizing that the person is not competitive and I should keep some comments to myself.

+10 to Creeker

On 4/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

s-l1600.jpg

I dig your style Bruce.  I think that rig is tight.  I'm going a little more classic but with skulls weaved in.  A subtle nod to my old punker roots haha.  Got a skull bead made of bone in the center of my hat band, will add medalians to my pistol grips when I find the right ones.  I love the finger bone button idea.  I'd love to see a pic when it's all done. 

I'll add a +1 for Reddogg.  Does fantastic work, reasonable price and a decent turn around time.  My rig was all set up for CAS.  Most of his work I've seen has been floral work (what I got) but based on what I've seen, this wouldn't be outside his abilities.  Best place to see his work on on the Bookface.  Search Reddog leather and you'll find him. 

I'll add a +1 for your dad's quote too haha. 

Reading Creekers response...  My rig has none of those negative qualities.

My only complaint...  It creaks like a mofo.  I'm not sneaking up on anyone while wearing it that's for sure haha.  I need to add some wax or leather conditioner to a few parts to hush it up a little.  Just haven't done it yet. 

30 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

By the way, a well made SASS rig isn't all about speed. They make pulling your revolvers and reholstering easier.

Easier = more fun and safer.

Phantom... The evil mean one.

Not to mention much more likely to RETAIN your holster while running.

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not to mention much more likely to RETAIN your holster while running.

Did you mean Remain in your holster?

Obviously Mr. Boomstick you are blinded by how cool you will look standing in the crowd with skulls on your holsters and not how cool you will look standing on the podium being handed a first place trophy. Nice looking rig but the Cowboy thing to do is support the venders that support us. Just another opinion.

I shoot B western and love his leather. The only thing I would suggest is having him put ruff side out on inside of belt so it won't slip. (He will),   

On 4/14/2019 at 8:23 AM, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Boomstick,

Check out Double Diamond's work, it is just awesome, and he will customize it anyway you want.

http://ddbleather.com/

I have seen some of Double Diamond's work first hand and it is Top Notch. I am building a gun cart and hope to have some of that work on the storage box. It is really unique and a treasure to be passed down to the next generation of shooters like my Grandson Hot Shot Hayden, age 11.

In my experience, I have seen revolvers come out of a couple of the "top" holster makers. And they came out of a couple of top shooters holsters. 

Phantom, talk about easier and safe and built for speed:

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

Archived