SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1875 Schofield “Hideout” Revolvers

Nice.  I have one to compliment my longer Schofield.  It seems to balance in the hand better than the bigger Schofield.

Schofields are great guns.  I have found that they are great for educating non-SASS shooters who are familiar with more modern pistols.  The way the guns are lined up with lower bore axis/cylinders makes for more of a recoil push directly back towards the shooter, very much like a semi auto pistol.  There's less rotation in the grip when compared to Vaqs or SAAs. 

All Schofields are undisputed champions of the loading/unloading table. 

Just when I am considering a Schofield this pops up!!  And I love the look of the shorter tubes too! 

Wish I could handle one before the commitment of $$$ cuz they ain't cheap!

Jed, to be honest, I'd love to see more of them!  Part of the reason I got in CAS is the uniqueness of weaponry and just becaues it ain't the fastest, don't mean it ain't the coolest!! B)

Love the look of the Schofields but my hands and thumbs sure don't.  I'm also turned off by the rumors that persist that they won't run with black powder.  Though I have yet to talk with anybody that has shot theirs with BP.  I do know a guy with a set of the S&W Performance Center Schofields and he has shot matches with APP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 5:03 AM, David Balthazar said:

Just when I am considering a Schofield this pops up!!  And I love the look of the shorter tubes too! 

Wish I could handle one before the commitment of $$$ cuz they ain't cheap!

Jed, to be honest, I'd love to see more of them!  Part of the reason I got in CAS is the uniqueness of weaponry and just becaues it ain't the fastest, don't mean it ain't the coolest!! B)

Well, if you were closer I’d let you handle these.  You’re right, “they ain’t cheap”...

I’m planning on shootin’ through a whole match here soon... well, soonish... ;)

On 4/17/2019 at 6:54 AM, July Smith said:

Love the look of the Schofields but my hands and thumbs sure don't.  I'm also turned off by the rumors that persist that they won't run with black powder.  Though I have yet to talk with anybody that has shot theirs with BP.  I do know a guy with a set of the S&W Performance Center Schofields and he has shot matches with APP.

I’m gonna try ‘em with BP... really it’s on my list of things to do!  :D

On 4/17/2019 at 6:54 AM, July Smith said:

Count me as one that’s tried it. I got 7 shots off before the gun locked up completely. Next up is trying it with 777 and app. I’ll report my results when I get some rounds loaded up with those. I’m not expecting a lot. Just five shots and the ability to get another five after a cylinder wipe down. 

I sold my pair of Ubertis many years ago BUT using my own personal secret formula, that I stole from someone else, mine would make make lotsa smoke and always made it through a full match.  Mine were the long barl version BUT had thyey been the neat pair of short guns like those here, I'll garantee yall I would still have them. 

7 minutes ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

I sold my pair of Ubertis many years ago BUT using my own personal secret formula, that I stole from someone else, mine would make make lotsa smoke and always made it through a full match.  Mine were the long barl version BUT had thyey been the neat pair of short guns like those here, I'll garantee yall I would still have them. 

Care to share that secret formula?

SURE,  I have been protecting this formula fer many years now and have not shared with anyone since a few of them other guys posted it on the WIRE and I tried it.  I will say that some did not seem to have as good a luck with it as I did BUT it easily carried me through more than a bunch of six stage matches back when.  I am suffering from sum memory problems due to low oxy but it should only apply to the current for the time BP sub BUT, I do think I used some of the APP with good results before selling the Uberti Schofields.  Rumors had it that the new ones offered by SW  could not be made to work????  As memory has it I loaded 26grs of APP and then measured from the top of the charge to the top level of the case mouth.  That measurement was used as the cut length for filler wads made from 1/2" caulk backer rods and these were then compressed to oal by seating the bullet atop the load.  Since I almost always used BP and or subs, you can bet that iffen I ever had Schofields again I would check them with that load should I ever get to try my hand again! 

PS: Later I tried these  loads using AJs 45CS brass and it worked well in ailmenting the wads and even reducing the load by a couple of grains BUT ALAS the shorter brass sure was bad about getting under the extraction star and locking things up. 

Mike Beliavau did a review of the New Model 3 and shot it with black powder.   Said it started jamming up at about 30 rounds. 

I'd like a pair of New Model 3s in 44WCF.   I don't seem to find that combination.  

Personally I think it has more to do with the drastically reduced load.  A full case load of BP in the 45 AJ cowboy special case worked just as well and there was no filler used there, so??? Also let me mention that a few guys on the wire commented, back then, that they considered these type fillers to be unsafe BUT I did use them without incident for several years.   Who knows, perhaps I stopped the practice just one filler wad away from disaster???  As I remeber it, this pair of revolvers move to Alaska, not sure if them boys use BP up thar.

I'd think if you could get 5 shots off without binding,  that's all you'd need to shoot cowboy.   Just have a Gator Aid bottle with what ever moose slobber stuff you like and a cleaning rod with mop at your cart. Run it in and out of each chamber and down the bore.  

Archived