SASS Wire Forum

Preferred color of shooting glasses

Diamond Curly SASS#57086

I am going to order a new pair of prescription shooting glasses and was wondering what tint you prefer and why. I have used grey, brown, yellow, and pink and they all have their good points and bad points. Any I'm put would be appreciated iated. Thamks, DC

57 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Clear.  Try loading percussion revolvers in the shade on a cloudy day with tinted safety glasses!  

I also shoot C&B and capping them in the shade is tricky. I did try pink once and really seemed to help on an overcast day, not sure how good in a sunny day.

For me:

Orange/amber, it brings out the most sharpness and contrast in most light.  

Gray 90+ density for bright days.

Colors that YOU need will most likely not match what many other people use.   So, you may get interesting answers, but not necessarily helpful for YOU. 

You have to try them out yourself.   A big match with a vendor selling shooting glasses (even a regional or national shotgun match - Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays) can be very helpful in letting you try several varieties of glasses.

Good luck, GJ

23 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

For me:

Orange/amber, it brings out the most sharpness and contrast in most light.  

Gray 90+ density for bright days.

Colors that YOU need will most likely not match what many other people use.   So, you may get interesting answers, but not necessarily helpful for YOU. 

You have to try them out yourself.   A big match with a vendor selling shooting glasses (even a regional or national shotgun match - Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays) can be very helpful in letting you try several varieties of glasses.

Good luck, GJ

Thank you

I bought 2 pair of Wiley-X a few years ago with pink or rose colored lenses. I was working at Sportsman's Warehouse and we were closing them out at half price because nobody wanted that color.  Still using 'em.

7 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I have amber for cloudy days, and gray for sunny days.

+1, I have very light sensitive eyes and squint quite a bit on sunny days, have to have dark tint.

And on cloudy days, the amber seems to work best.

I have changed during a match according to inside/outside shooting scenarios and sunny/cloudy situations.

Like GJ says, even though you will get lots of input, you need to "see" what works best for your eyes.

7 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I prefer a yellow lense as it helps keep my eyes from getting “lazy”. I can pick up the next target faster with them than with grey lenses. 

I have to agree with Smokestack. I prefer and use Yellow lenses. Helps me pick up the target faster.

21 minutes ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Clear progressive (lineless) bifocals..

This, with transition lenses (shatterproof safety lenses) in a WileyX frame. 

I've tried clear - get headaches and squint too much in bright sunlight.

I've tried dark gray - PITA on overcast days, when it's raining, or otherwise poor lighting. 

I've tried amber - really good for overcast days, when it's raining - ok in poor lighting. Not so good, for me, in really bright light. 

I've tried bronze - probably the best all-around, solid tint for me. Fairly good in low lighting but not as good as clear. 

I finally just bought the transition, progressive safety glasses a few months ago. Work great in all lighting conditions except bright days when driving - the lenses won't darken inside a car. 

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

I finally just bought the transition, progressive safety glasses a few months ago.

Howdy Rick

I am kind of clueless :blush: Would you have a link to such glasses or explain what "transition, progressive safety glasses" are?

Edit: Does "transition" mean they darken in sunlight?

Thanks, Equanimous (who's mother tongue ain't english...)

Here's a color guide with some generalities on what colors gets filtered. 
Basically it comes down to this. 
Use yellow when you need better contrast, Sight silhouette on target, or Black bullseye on tan paper
Yellow is also great on over cast days where a lot of blue light is coming in and contrast is dying off. 

Pink or red is depth of field, if you need to see detail at distance or to better focus on your front sight and pink or red lens is a better choice.

Grays and browns are just for bright light. 
In any event I recommend anti glare and polarized. Prescription if you need them. 

Now for those that shoot side matches with a tang peep sight, Get a sight with a replaceable rear peep. because on dim days you need to open the hole up .020"-.030" on brighter days you need to shrink that hole down  .020"-.030". The only example of this that I have personally shot is my M1 Garand that has a .070" ish rear sight. on bright days that sight may need to be as tight as .040" and on real dim days as big as .100" This can also be a problem for guys use to shooting back east where shooting over dark green fields is the norm. then they come out west to shoot and everything is light brown to pale tan and bright. shooters find they cant focus like they are used to. so a rear sight change is needed. 

Lens color guide

6 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Howdy Rick

I am kind of clueless :blush: Would you have a link to such glasses or explain what "transition, progressive safety glasses" are?

Transition lenses automatically change from clear to dark tint in sunlight, then lighten back to clear when you go inside (though not instantaneously).

Progressive lenses are bifocals without the line. 

WileyX offers several frames that have prescription lens options. You can either order directly from WileyX or go through your favorite eye doctor. 

My local eye doctor can cut lenses in-house.

My glasses are WileyX Peak frames. 

Sorry, can't post links from phone. 

12 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Howdy Rick

Those are standard prescription glasses you can get at you eye doctor's.
transition= self tinting

progressive, no line bi or tri focals = $$$$ about $350 additional at my optometrist 

safety glasses any polycarb lens that is Z87 rated for impact mounted in a frame that is also rated for support. 

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Colorless always.

Although I hate to disagree with Phantom :o;) and I attended a class of Holy Terror's where she recommended clear, one of my ophthalmologists said to always wear colored lenses in the sun to prevent cataract development.

I wear transitions. They work in sun or shade. 

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Although I hate to disagree with Phantom :o;) and I attended a class of Holy Terror's where she recommended clear, one of my ophthalmologists said to always wear colored lenses in the sun to prevent cataract development.

Forgive me when I disagree with your ophthalmologists suggestion. While sound advice it may make someone think that a clear lens does nothing. 
Nearly all but cheapest sunglasses at the local 7/11 have 100% UV A/B blocking ability, UV exposure being the leading cause of cataracts 

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I think k I will go with the progressive transition lens at this time. DC I do have non prescription glasses I can use depending in conditions at the range. Capping C&B revolvers can be fun in poor light. 

I prefer the X-Ray lens. It allows me to see through the Black powder smoke, but you have to take them off before you turn around after the stage cause that can be a shocker. :P

if you gotta go with a single les pair of glasses with prescription go clear , then figure out the colored lens covers that work for them if you like adjusting to weather , i generally go with a light yellow lens that gives me clearer vision mentally but have rose and purple colored as well as a gray , 

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Cataracts are mainly an age related issue New studies say UV MAY contribute to their development  and UV lenses do protect from eye damage. I would suggest UV lenses color of you choice if wanted. Basically we are just getting older 

and this is part of aging.:FlagAm:

On April 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Bah humbug on shaded glasses, just squint as needed.  Now I'm told I have cataracts starting to form and yes I've shallowed my pride, admit I was wrong and where shades religiously. 

Archived