SASS Wire Forum

Hot off the line Marlin 1894C in .357

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Just got in 3 Marlin 1894C’s in .357 Mag from one of my distributors. Fit and finish look great. They all feed my .38

dummies loaded at 1.42 OAL flawlessly and I can’t even feel them chamber. Installed a Western Gunworks pin and spring kit and I am really impressed with how it turned out. Another 3 winners from Marlin. Very encouraged by what I’ve seen so far. 

1B131214-FAC0-4EEA-9E13-26F87CC6A141.jpeg

Cool!!!

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Just got in 3 Marlin 1894C’s in .357 Mag from one of my distributors. Fit and finish look great. They all feed my .38

dummies loaded at 1.42 OAL flawlessly and I can’t even feel them chamber. Installed a Western Gunworks pin and spring kit and I am really impressed with how it turned out. Another 3 winners from Marlin. Very encouraged by what I’ve seen so far. 

1B131214-FAC0-4EEA-9E13-26F87CC6A141.jpeg

You said you got three...Only see two...You lose one already...

Texas Lizard

Good to hear. Hopefully the firearm manufacturers (especially the American ones) are listening to their customers and making the appropriate changes to their products. Sounds promising, thanks Deuce.

It has been 10 years since production moved from CT to NY.
I figure they have their production/quality problems ironed out by now, so I jumped on a new 1894CB.
These are scarce, so I grabbed the first one I could find at a decent new price.

The quality of wood in mine is certainly a step above what they show in the web site photos.

I bought a new production Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt last month. Purchased from my local Sportsman’s Warehouse for $650 IIRC with WA sales tax and 5% military discount.  The last 1894 I bought was a new 1884 in 357 Mag. That one I bought from Cabelas in 2005 for $550 including ID sales tax.  I bought that one 1 week after I got back from Baghdad. The Remington/Marlin 1894 is actually a little nicer in fit and finish than the other 3 JM Marlin 1894’s I own. So 14 years later and the rifles are comparable and haven’t really went up in cost, figuring inflation and all that.  I think a new Marlin is a bargain in the world of pistol caliber lever actions. 

Did Remington go with the Micro Groove with these new rifles rather than the Ballard?

I prefer the Ballard, especially for the lead bullets.

I bought an 1894 in 45 last month.  Beautiful fit and finish on it, functions flawlessly.  Did some spring changes and it feels real good now!  Great rifle for the money.

1 hour ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

Did Remington go with the Micro Groove with these new rifles rather than the Ballard?

I prefer the Ballard, especially for the lead bullets.

New ones are Ballard type.

Never had any issue with MG bbl, in my 1981 made .44 carbine, with SASS lead loads at all. ;)

OLG

DEUCE,

I think its a very good thing you are doing by becoming a dealer for these new Marlins and especially

being able to supply some competition ready rifles to customers who want the better springs, etc..... already

in their rifles.

Good on ya.

..........Widder

I saw one of your videos where the stock cracked on the first time being shot.

I have a brand new 1894CB, and am curious if this is a design flaw, or just slammin' hard use during a match?
If this is chronic with 1894, is there a preventative measure one can take before it cracks, and remain CAS legal?

In all fairness to Marlin it was Straight Arrow running the gun. But, that being said, and there are far more knowledgeable folks here than me, here goes.

You can take the stock off and bed the mating surfaces to get a nice tight mating between stock and receiver. Fill all the gaps to make even contact. Most of the cracking can be avoided that way. Others can give better answers.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:31 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

DEUCE,

I think its a very good thing you are doing by becoming a dealer for these new Marlins and especially

being able to supply some competition ready rifles to customers who want the better springs, etc..... already

in their rifles.

Good on ya.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder. I think this batch will be my last though. I was really excited about the new Marlins especially the carbines. Anything that makes it easier for a new shooter is a win. We spent a lot of our time  and money on the box to match reviews.Gave folks factual real evidence that they fit the bill but it is drowned out by cynical people with no hands on experience who just repeat what they read somewhere in the internet. It’s been discoursging.  Frankly I’ve got better things to do with the arrival of our new little one coming up followed by helping produce EOT then jumping right into planning for MI state. 

I understand.    You've given it a good honest effort and hopefully sparked some new interest

in the Marlin.   There will be some who buy it for Cowboy shooting, but there will also be others who

will now look serious at getting one for other reasons, such as hunting, etc.....

The success of these latest Marlins also means continual availability of parts to ALL Marlin owners and

for that, they should be grateful.   

Congratulations on your 'new arrival'.........

.......and again, THANKS!

..........Widder

Good job Deuce. There is nothing more important or fun than family.

I recently have closed most of my business so that I can spend more time with my five grandkids, who are starting to reach shooting age.

Johnny Meadows

I bought one of the new Marlin's 1894CB several months ago. .357/.38. 20 inch barrel, no checkering. Compared to my Codymatic 73, I thought it was stiff and crunchy out of the box. It was real hard to load the 9th and 10th cartridges in the magazine. Got the Marlin light spring kit and changed out all the springs, bent the lever safety spring the way Billy the Avenger explains on his YouTube video to lighten it.  I also cut off about 3 inches of the mag tube spring. And, I took the gun completely apart and sanded with #6 sandpaper all the internal parts that move against each other. Then, rubbed all parts down and lightly oiled them and put the gun back together. Now, it feels nice and smooth and fast.

One feature that like is that the rifle will cycle different size cartridges. I am loading a 125 grain Hi-Tek bullet with 4.5 grains of Unique powder. The OAL is 1.5 inches. These work great. Like Deuce said, I have some .38 special snap caps which are only 1.42 inches long. They cycle fine too.

18 minutes ago, Lawman Mays said:

I bought one of the new Marlin's 1894CB several months ago. .357/.38. 20 inch barrel, no checkering. Compared to my Codymatic 73, I thought it was stiff and crunchy out of the box. It was real hard to load the 9th and 10th cartridges in the magazine. Got the Marlin light spring kit and changed out all the springs, bent the lever safety spring the way Billy the Avenger explains on his YouTube video to lighten it.  I also cut off about 3 inches of the mag tube spring. And, I took the gun completely apart and sanded with #6 sandpaper all the internal parts that move against each other. Then, rubbed all parts down and lightly oiled them and put the gun back together. Now, it feels nice and smooth and fast.

One feature that like is that the rifle will cycle different size cartridges. I am loading a 125 grain Hi-Tek bullet with 4.5 grains of Unique powder. The OAL is 1.5 inches. These work great. Like Deuce said, I have some .38 special snap caps which are only 1.42 inches long. They cycle fine too.

Back that load down to 4.0gn. ;)

OLG

Lumpy Gritz, Is 4.0 your load? I want enough power so I don't get any squib rounds.

i picked up one in 45 and it is a fairly nice rifle , not as smooth out of the box as any of my other four but i felt the need to add the marlin to the henrys and winchesters , im glad i got it - ill see if i can smooth it out some , 

On 4/12/2019 at 5:35 AM, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Are these still being made by Remington??

Did they make production changes??

(Previously I hadn't heard many good reviews on them..)

What price are they running??

The current machined component manufacturing is all CNC.  It took a while for Remington's engineers to reproduce the old school Marlin drawings in CAD.

20 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

Lumpy Gritz, Is 4.0 your load? I want enough power so I don't get any squib rounds.

4.0gn of Unique works well for 125-158 lead in .38 Special as well as .357 cases.

Use a firm roll crimp.

My wife:wub: has shot the 4.0 load since day one in SASS.

OLG

28 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

They are out there. Just now in gunshop on Buffalo Wyoming.   

20190424_085931.thumb.jpg.beb45cdd9c62ff2e59d60cc23bbea23c.jpg

He has two 357 carbine and a couple of Limited one in 44mag another in 45 Colt.

That stock and forearm fitting sure don't look 'rite'.

Do you have any other pictures?

OLG

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That stock and forearm fitting sure don't look 'rite'.

Do you have any other pictures?

OLG

No.  But I liked the forearm on the Limited much better than the carbine.  Not nearly as fat. 

Archived