SASS Wire Forum

Productive day

I no longer have TV.  Cancelled Directv which I've had since last September and have watched maybe ten hours total.

Cancelled my Verizon cell phone and have a new cell phone coming from Affinity (AAA) with a flip phone and unlimited minutes and NO OTHER POS FEATURES for $20.00 a month.  Never did learn how to take pictures, text, tweet, twist, turn or twang, so I don't need that stuff.  

I have OnStar so I don't need navigation.

I don't need a computer to look up who was vice president of the Rotarians in 1942 or any other nonsense.

I have a phone with a list of numbers I need and an answering service for missed calls.  Other than being able to make outgoing calls, that's all I need.

Ordered two new holsters and a gun belt for my 1860 Army revolvers, from Rick Bachman at Old West Reproductions.  Got the fancy "wedding band" design tooling because I like it and I deserve it.  He's going to use one of my Will Ghormley buckles so it will make me the best dressed cowboy in Arizona.

Bought two new jars of Mortimer Farms chowchow (one for a friend and another for me).  Now that I've found where I can get the real stuff I don't need the recipe anymore...but I'd still like to have it.

Working on getting some of the no-cost movies and TV that Consumer Reports told me about in their latest issue.  Once I get that done I'll fire Netflix after a 20+ year relationship.

I'll tally up all the savings and may have enough to buy another gun.  

I really NEED another gun!

I still have internet and other computer services, but I have to actually sit down in front of a computer instead of taking the obnoxious damn thing eveywhere with me.

I might even go out and buy some stamps and write letters to people. Howzatgrabya?

I was perfectly happy with my flip phone but inherited an ios from a friend/our (younger) IT guru.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I still have internet and other computer services, but I have to actually sit down in front of a computer instead of taking the obnoxious damn thing eveywhere with me.

I might even go out and buy some stamps and write letters to people. Howzatgrabya?

Outstanding idea, Forty!  Good on ya.

Forty!!  So long as your phone number and E-mule address stay the same, me 'n' you is all good!!!

I took Schoolmarm to get her meds and do a little grocery shopping for the weekend with grandkids.

I chased down some alignment shims for a project in the shop.

Went through my match tote and got all the loading strips filled, the shot shells, extra ammo, and gun leather packed, and one set of match pistols checked and bagged.

I sorted the empties from the last match, (Black Gold 2018) bagged up the shotgun hulls and counted and tumbled the pistol/rifle brass.

I started in on the other set of main match pistols and began repairing the dinged up, damaged grips, (one of a kind giraffe bone with hand carved checkering and oak leaves with acorns laid up over red micarta) that have been with me for fourteen of my sixteen years in S.A.S.S.! That project will continue tomorrow.

I began negotiations with a local venue to furnish entertainment for a weekly Saturday afternoon motorcycle event. We'll met next Tuesday to work out the details.

And shared a pizza with Hatfield and my dog, Jezebel.

And only once all day did I use my phone!!  And they called me!! The phone is six years old, nowhere near state of the art, and paid for!!

I went back to a flip phone 4 1/2 years ago. Kept it for one year. That test was long enough for me. I went back to my smart phone. Y’all can have your flip phones if you like. I’ll keep my iPhone. 

When I was a kid I read Sci-Fi books and watched movies and Sci-Fi TV shows. I couldn’t wait to have a Dick Tracy radio watch or a Star Trek “communicator”. I finally got close enough with this iPhone. We live in an amazing age. I just wish I had a flying car. My sport bike will have to do...for now.

Well, my home phone and email are staying the same. As for the smart phone, my daughter and her husband gave me one a year ago last Christmas.  It's big, awkward to carry, does crap I don't want it to do and fights me on the things I do want to do.  I don't care for computer anyway (even though I've been involved with them almost non-stop since 1966) but use them at home when it's convenient for me.  I don't want to be belabored by one away from home.  The only one I use outside the home, and that only infrequently, is OnStar in my new car.  I wouldn't have bought it except I couldn't find a new Chevy Impala without it.  It's somewhat handy for finding things, but I frankly don't need it.  I found things for the best part of seventy seven years without it.

Not saying someone else shouldn't have one, but I find it to annoying when someone in my party spends time searching for answers to questions that no on needs to knowa at the immediate moment.

I like the sound of that! The major advantage I have found to having an iPhone since I finally broke down and got one is that if I am at court or working to set up an appointment, I can do it on my phone and it automatically syncs to my computer. That one feature makes it worthwhile for me. Otherwise, I would be happy to follow in your footsteps.

I'm mostly an introvert, and would rather sit back and read a book, the paper kind, than deal with people most of the time. As I have said many times, but for my love of a really good hamburger, I could become a hermit.

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

As I have said many times, but for my love of a really good hamburger, I could become a hermit.

I truly dislike dealing with people. Unfortunately people make burgers, ice cream, Chinese food and various other things I love  so I just deal with it.:D

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I went back to a flip phone 4 1/2 years ago. Kept it for one year. That test was long enough for me. I went back to my smart phone. Y’all can have your flip phones if you like. I’ll keep my iPhone.

I kept my flip phone up until early last year when my wife wanted all of us to upgrade. Since then I can think of maybe two or tree cool things it does that I couldn't do before, but that's it. I could certainly live without it.

Get a kid to show you how to use it. ;)

Things I do with my iPhone daily:

• Check weather
  • watch real time radar weather.
  • watch real time satellite weather across the Pacific for my own forecasting.
  • Check and respond to email.
  • Hangout on the Wire
  • Listen to Bluetooth xmitted music on my helmet comm system enroute to work
  • Use Bluetooth xmitted navigation directions going to work to warn me of accidents ahead.
  • Google stuff
  • Use Amazon Prime
  • Makes memes for the Saloon
  • Take LOTS of photos
  • Edit lots of photos
  • Text my wife and tell her I love her.
  • Play a couple of games once in a while
  • Use Apple Pay for drinks and snacks.
  • Shop and search eBay
  • Buy stuff with PayPal
  • I use several navigation apps for various reasons
  • Make lists in Notes for things I need and store info I need, like reloading info and motorcycle tech info.
  • Utilize the OBDII scanner for my trucks.
  • I use the alarm function for various things.
  • I use the calculator a lot.
  • I can watch Netflix, YouTube and Amazon movies.
  • I can pull up recipes on my Traeger app.

There's more, but I think that's enough.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Get a kid to show you how to use it. ;)

Things I do with my iPhone daily:

• Check weather
  • watch real time radar weather.
  • watch real time satellite weather across the Pacific for my own forecasting.
  • Check and respond to email.
  • Hangout on the Wire
  • Listen to Bluetooth xmitted music on my helmet comm system enroute to work
  • Use Bluetooth xmitted navigation directions going to work to warn me of accidents ahead.
  • Google stuff
  • Use Amazon Prime
  • Makes memes for the Saloon
  • Take LOTS of photos
  • Edit lots of photos
  • Text my wife and tell her I love her.
  • Play a couple of games once in a while
  • Use Apple Pay for drinks and snacks.
  • Shop and search eBay
  • Buy stuff with PayPal
  • I use several navigation apps for various reasons
  • Make lists in Notes for things I need and store info I need, like reloading info and motorcycle tech info.
  • Utilize the OBDII scanner for my trucks.
  • I use the alarm function for various things.
  • I use the calculator a lot.
  • I can watch Netflix, YouTube and Amazon movies.
  • I can pull up recipes on my Traeger app.

There's more, but I think that's enough.

I do three of the those things on my computer.  The others are in red.  Don't do any of that on my cell phone.

I'm still a luddite. still carrying a flip phone. It packs better for me, doesn't get busted if i'm crawling under neath a home or equipment. my associate has cracked three screens on his smart device in the last three years and has trouble getting it out if it goes off whilst we're out in the vehicle/conveyance. besides, I don't want anything that's smarter than I am:rolleyes::P:huh::blush:

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I truly dislike dealing with people. Unfortunately people make burgers, ice cream, Chinese food and various other things I love  so I just deal with it.:D

So, you understand my pain.

For those of you who think these gadgets are actually smart, consider that they are all grouped in the ARTIFICIAL intelligence group!!  ARTIFICIAL being the key word.  They actually only respond to cues.  They can compute, but they CANNOT actually reason!!  Wonderful tools, but not worthy of any extra awe!!  They're simply extensions of really intelligent HUMAN BEINGS!!

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

For those of you who think these gadgets are actually smart, consider that they are all grouped in the ARTIFICIAL intelligence group!!  ARTIFICIAL being the key word.  They actually only respond to cues.  They can compute, but they CANNOT actually reason!!  Wonderful tools, but not worthy of any extra awe!!  They're simply extensions of really intelligent HUMAN BEINGS!!

Uh...yeah. I know. 

Y'all do realize we carry more computing power in our pockets than sent men to the moon?  I supervised a group of women who produced insurance policies using a typewriter and carbon paper.  I freakin' LOVE computers, even if I don't understand a quarter of what they do.

14 hours ago, MizPete said:

Y'all do realize we carry more computing power in our pockets than sent men to the moon?  I supervised a group of women who produced insurance policies using a typewriter and carbon paper.  I freakin' LOVE computers, even if I don't understand a quarter of what they do.

Having spent my career as a senior/principal/consulting software engineer, I thought about that for a while.  Maybe true, but ya know, a billion dollars bought a lot of computers in the mid 60s.

Archived