SASS Wire Forum

Getting started: pistol question

Gray Drifter

Welcome to the best game there is!

No they don't, don't even have to be the same caliber; but it's a really really good idea for them to be the same caliber.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome to the best game there is!

No they don't, don't even have to be the same caliber; but it's a really really good idea for them to be.

Thank you sir! The benefits of which are obvious, I just could not find an answer anywhere.

I like them the same just for the same grip type between them. I shoot either .44 Super Blackhawks or .38 Vaqueros. My rifle is .38

The short answer is no.  The longer answer is still no, but.

The same calibers on both pistols would be recommended.  Makes it much easier at the loading table.  I have a pard who shoots both .45 - in his pistols - and .44-40 in his rifle.  It is possible to load the right ammo into the wrong firearm.  Its one of the reasons that loading blocks or Strips are available.

The other reason is ease of reloading.  Most of us reload our ammo.  Using the same caliber for pistols and rifles means that you're buying not as many components.  Different powders, different brass.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

The short answer is no.  The longer answer is still no, but.

The same calibers on both pistols would be recommended.  Makes it much easier at the loading table.  I have a pard who shoots both .45 - in his pistols - and .44-40 in his rifle.  It is possible to load the right ammo into the wrong firearm.  Its one of the reasons that loading blocks or Strips are available.

The other reason is ease of reloading.  Most of us reload our ammo.  Using the same caliber for pistols and rifles means that you're buying not as many components.  Different powders, different brass.

Methinks you misunderstand his question. He's asking about make and model; not caliber. Some of us just added that in as a "good idea".

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Methinks you misunderstand his question. He's asking about make and model; not caliber. Some of us just added that in as a "good idea".

OK.  You're right.  I got mislead when someone else mentioned caliber.

From my initial experience; I would (no pun on the guy above!) try to keep both the same model. I started with one vaquero style grip and one bisley style and found it hard to get used to as they both hold/aim differently. I'm running Ruger New Model Vaquero's now. Both in .45 as I like the big hole. The wife likes the .38's. We kept rifle and pistol calibers the same just for ease of operation and no chance of a screw up at the loading table. Have fun!

Both revolvers must conform to any category restrictions.  Some categories require fixed sight revolvers, so both would have to have fixed sights to shoot in those categories, not just one.  Frontiersman requires both revolvers to be fixed sight percussion guns, but obviously one could be an 1851 Navy and the other an 1860 Army, or 1858 Remington, or a Ruger Old Army, etc.

Get started and rest will work itself out.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.  You should not have any problem.  I a have seen shooters with different barrel lengths that shoot fine.  If you just want to have fun, have fun with what you have.

Somebody used to shoot a 3"Shopkeeper on one side and a Buntline on the other.   CRS, no name comes to me.

Matching calibers is just a good idea, but that’s to facilitate easy loading. The guns don’t have to be related. 

I started with two mismatched Vaqueros. Both in .44 Magnum, but one is 4.62” and one is 5.5”. One is stainless and one is case colored and blued. One is a Bisley grip and one is not. One has Sambar stag grips and one has buffalo horn grips. I’ve since bought two matching New Model Vaqueros in .357, but that’s because I want to shoot .38 Special, not because the mismatch bothers me. 

6 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

There was a quite similar thread a few weeks ago about matching revolvers:

Cheers, Equanimous

Now I have to laugh.   Those are my pistols!  Since it's cropped, here's the full pic...

1610120124_BuntlineSherrifs.thumb.jpg.a220074e533a64820e7b1292e6de4d2c.jpg

Believer it or not, I have never shot the 2 Sheriff's at the same time. but I do occasionally pair the 2 nickel guns for contrast. 

Matching is absolutely critical. Unless, they’re different enough that there’s no way they were intended to be a pair.  Then that’s okay.  But I am weird about that kind of stuff.  Unmatched = unsettling for me haha.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Before I bought anything I would go to a match watch, ask questions sit back and ask yourself where do I want to go with this game then act accordingly.  The meat in this game will be discovered at the matches not on the wire.IMHO

:FlagAm:

Archived