SASS Wire Forum

Sun Is Out, Hang The Laundry

Subdeacon Joe

It won't thaw.

You leave it out until it's dry.

Water goes directly to vapor without the intermediate step of thaw/liquid, a process called sublimation.

Not at all uncommon when I was growing up to hang clothes out in freezing weather.

The women folk complained terribly about what cold and wet did to their arthritis and as I recall, winter was when Hannah Brothers sold most of their new fangled clothes dryers.

My Mom and Grandmother hung laundry in the winter and it does dry. It will freeze but it will dry if the laundry has been wrung out. If it's saturated it will freeze and not dry.

32 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My Mom and Grandmother hung laundry in the winter and it does dry. It will freeze but it will dry if the laundry has been wrung out. If it's saturated it will freeze and not dry.

Yep. Mom did too. It was a happy day in our house when the old ringer got replaced with a dryer. She still hung clothes sometimes. Especially sheets.

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just don't put it out on really windy days. Bending frozen cloth damages the fibers.

My mom would hang her wash out on cold windy days, her theory was the water froze and the wind snapping the  cloth made the ice fall off. She said she never got whiter wash then in the winter.

Archived