SASS Wire Forum

Oops...Missed It Bataan.

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/bataandeathmarch.htm

The war came to the Philippines the same day it came to Hawaii and in the same manner – a surprise air attack. In the case of the Philippines, however, this initial strike was followed by a full-scale invasion of the main island of Luzon three days later. By early January, the American and Filipino defenders were forced to retreat to a slim defensive position on the island's western Bataan Peninsula

bataandeathmarch1.jpg
American prisoners, some with their hands
behind their backs, get a brief respite
during the march.

The American and Filipino forces fought from an untenable position until formally surrendering to the Japanese on April 9. The Japanese immediately began to march some 76,000 prisoners (12,000 Americans, the remainder Filipinos) northward into captivity along a route of death. When three American officers escaped a year later, the world learned of the unspeakable atrocities suffered along the 60-mile journey that became known as the Bataan Death March.

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2019/04/historic-photos-of-the-horrific-bataan-death-march-in-1942.html

I had two school teachers, one a JrHS science teacher and his brother a HS coach who were both survivors of the Bataan Death March.  Neither knew the other had ben captured until they were liberated and send back to the States.

Neither one ever mentioned it and both were great teachers and marvelous men.  My Dad told me about their ordeal after I graduated from college.

I knew two.  One was the husband of a round dance teacher.  Tall, skinny as a rail.  Almost as if his ordeal made it impossible impossible for him to gain weight. 

The other was a man at church.   

I grew up with a guy whose grandfather was a Filipino that had been captured and forced to participate in the Bataan death march.  Unlike most Filipinos, he was nearly 7 feet tall.  As a result, he drew the attention of his Japanese captors and was shot three times and bayoneted four times (or vice versa, I don't recall).  He survived.  What a total badass.

Archived