SASS Wire Forum

Black Holes

Subdeacon Joe

An hour long press conference as well as short text.

https://fox40.com/2019/04/10/this-is-the-first-ever-photo-of-a-black-hole/?fbclid=IwAR1fRFVuwdIw9JatymyAqQAeEXbhg7Skc0wqhWMH-nwj-DyR6i6LVezgIEE

The black hole resides 55 million light-years from Earth and has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. (Event Horizon Telescope collaboration et al.)

The black hole resides 55 million light-years from Earth and has a mass 6.5 billion times that of the Sun. (Event Horizon Telescope collaboration et al.)

In April 2017, scientists used a global network of telescopes to see and capture the first-ever picture of a black hole, according to an announcement by researchers at the National Science Foundation Wednesday morning. They captured an image of the black hole at the center of a galaxy known as M87.

“We have seen what we thought was unseeable,” said Sheperd Doeleman, director of the Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration. “We have seen and taken a picture of a black hole.”

The Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration, called EHT, is a global network of telescopes that captured the first-ever photograph of a black hole.

In their attempt to capture an image of a black hole, scientists combined the power of eight radio telescopes around the world using Very-Long-Baseline-Interferometry, according to the European Southern Observatory, which is part of the EHT. This effectively creates a virtual telescope around the same size as the Earth itself.

Black holes are made up of huge amounts of matter squeezed into a small area, according to NASA, creating a massive gravitational field which draws in everything around it, including light.

It’s the eye of Satan! We have awakened evil itself! We are doomed!...

Wouldn’t that make a great airbrush paint job on a motorcycle gas tank?

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Fake news. That was actually just a quick picture of inside Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's inner ear. <_<

I thought it was a pic of Nancy Pelosi's inner ear. But Hey, I'm not an ENT Doc.

4 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Makes you feel sort of insignificant doesn't it?  Our world is not even a grain of sand in the Universe. 

According to Antoine Lavoisier matter cannot be created or destroyed. If true then it means everything that ends up in a black hole goes somewhere. Kinda makes you wonder if they're merely a portal to another side of the universe or something. My head hurts just thinking about it. :blink:

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

According to Antoine Lavoisier matter cannot be created or destroyed. If true then it means everything that ends up in a black hole goes somewhere. Kinda makes you wonder if they're merely a portal to another side of the universe or something. My head hurts just thinking about it. :blink:

18th century chemist.  What if he didn’t know everything?  WE KNOW, for example, that he did not know E = mcsquared.

7 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Makes you feel sort of insignificant doesn't it?  Our world is not even a grain of sand in the Universe. 

Makes one think if we going 50 billion light years in the other direction, that maybe there is another Universe...I wonder who is in charge of that one...Big guys sister???

Just thinking out of the box...

Texas Lizard

5 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Makes one think if we going 50 billion light years in the other direction, that maybe there is another Universe...I wonder who is in charge of that one...Big guys sister???

Just thinking out of the box...

Texas Lizard

Where does it end? Is there an end to the universe? Is it round, oval square, rectangular? Are we expanding into nothingness and then it becomes something when we get there? Are there other universes? Questions abound!!:o

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Where does it end? Is there an end to the universe? Is it round, oval square, rectangular? Are we expanding into nothingness and then it becomes something when we get there? Are there other universes? Questions abound!!:o

Sounds like we could go threw a whole case of beer and not come up with answer...But what great conversation...Then again, could end talking to someone who is so closed minded that you end up with just a hangover...

Texas Lizard

Think about it... our bodies are their own universes. The cells and bacteria living inside you have no idea that other "universes" even exist outside their own. Now multiply that a few gazillion times, and you realize that for all we know we could be floating around in some giant's stomach.

I guess it's time for another beer...

22 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Not to steal any thunder from SDJ's wonderful post, here is some more interesting information on this subject.

Katie Bouman

Archived