SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun condition in cart

Buckshot Sheridan

Building a new cart. Is it required that the actions be completely open when in the cart?  I seem to remember there being certain conditions where they could be closed, but can’t seem to find anything stating one or the other. 

What Dawg said, but:

Pg. 18 of the shooters handbook: 

Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and 
muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match.

You can also put them in a case or build your gun cart so you can enclose them like in a cabinet.

11 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What Dawg said, but:

Pg. 18 of the shooters handbook: 

Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and 
muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match.

You can also put them in a case or build your gun cart so you can enclose them like in a cabinet.

Allowing the "transportation" of a long gun "action closed" in a case, scabbard, or enclosed cart is up to the match directors of individual clubs/ranges.

REF also: SHB p.43 - "Glossary of Terms"

FWIW, depending on how your cart is, if movement or angle finds the action working it's way closed, inserting a bright dowel or sturdy ziptie at the very least is a hard visual check that the chamber is cartridge free, and the action physically unable to close. 

I am building my cart, and considering these things myself.

The Shotgun and Rifle can be closed with a Sleeve over the gun wile in the Cart .

Just sayin .

Rooster 

10 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

The Shotgun and Rifle can be closed with a Sleeve over the gun wile in the Cart .

Just sayin .

Rooster 

At the match directors discretion, see PWB's post above.

I shoot SxS shotguns. My cart just isn't set up well to transport the shotgun in it with action open. I cut two pieces of PVC pipe longer than the barrels. I dropped them into the empty barrels and drew a line around the top. Then I put the full length snap caps I have into the chamber, closed the action, dropped the PVC pipe in, and drew a line around the pipe again. Between the lines I painted it red. If unloaded you only see white on the PVC pipes. If the shotgun is loaded you see red. My problem was solved, and I have never heard a complaint from any of the local clubs that I shoot at. I also made the same barrel rods out of dow rods and used a red magic marker.

3 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Just sayin .

Rooster 

That's not a general SASS rule. This allowance would have to be approved by the Club.

Phantom

Edit: See Tyrel's post.

Archived