SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun boogie holster funnels

Bucky Buckskin

Why don' you just use your gun? It has the shape that you want, EXACTLY! Just wrap it in cellophane kitchen wrap, wet the holsters and slam em in. Let them dry without adding any heat.

Snakebite 

Being I shoot NMV's    I bought 1 3/4 hardwood dowel and cut into cylinder length pieces. Sanded them smooth them waxed them.  Added a wooden drawer pull to complete.    Store in holsters.   3 ft of dowel made enough to give to friends     GW

I was more thinking of the channel the barrel and sight slide in and out I wet shape my holsters and this is good but not the best at forming a good path for the front sight to follow didn’t know if these made that shape better or not

20 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

Before I had steel lined holsters, I used an empty Busch light bottle to form the flair. 

Where did you find an empty bottle? Hard to imagine someone actually drank it

2 hours ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

Before I had steel lined holsters, I used an empty Busch light bottle to form the flair. 

Does it specifically need to be Busch light?

Mr. W,

As a leather maker, when I wet fit holsters, I use a waxed hammer handle to shape the bottom part of the holster.  I sometimes need to give a little more attention to the place the sight touches.

Things to do on a slow day..

I made mine with PVC pipe..

I'm a wood worker of sorts.. :huh:

1" O.D. material  for the barrel (I think) cut to length of barrel + the cylinder..

I then measured the O.D. of the cylinder I think 1 1/2" or 2" O.D. for it..

(can't remember exact size as they are back in Illinois)

I cut an off center slot in the barrel piece for the cylinder to slide into..

I then put an extra half circle of the cylinder material

on the outside of the cylinder to keep the flare out at the mouth of the holster..

I sanded (tapered) all the edges and screwed them all together ... :)

Rance ;)

Thinkin' they've held up beautifully fer  about 15 years.. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Where did you find an empty bottle? Hard to imagine someone actually drank it

I didn't know that cheap beer like that came in bottles.

I have a few homemade Kydex holsters for other pistols but I have never tried to mold leather. 

-How much does "wet fitting" a holster change the color of the leather?

-How long to soak the leather before you holster the gun - do you need to "press" the gun and holster or just let it hang and air dry?

It sounds like a good garage project to kill some time and improve the fit/function of a holster - I'm just curious if there are any concerns with damaging the leather or changing the color so I don't ruin a decent rig.

You really don't dunk the holster.  Run some cool tap water on it and in it for just a minute or two.  Shake off the extra water.

I wet fit my holsters before I dye them.  Another holster maker friend dyes his holsters before he wet fits them.  He stated that the water may lighten the color a little.

I only wet fit my holsters once.  I would be careful not to do it too often.

Thanks for all the good tips I currently use my pistols to wet form then a piece of oak I cut to what I feel opens them up enough to make a good channel for the barrel and sight to travel in I always dye my leather after I met mold it as well mongo I usually put first coat of oil o. Then dye while it’s soaking In To get a good uniform color

Archived