SASS Wire Forum

The Kid

Wapaloosie73

Only question is... is any of it going to be true to fact or will it be just yet another completely fictionalized and romanticized version of the Kid?

Edit: I just found out the young boy in the film is a fictional character so I guess I shouldn't hold out too much hope.

Well, I figure yes, it is definitely historical fiction, so "true to fact" here and there and "completely fictionalized and romanticized" everywhere else.  Here's the thing.  It's a Western movie.  I pretty much know as much as anyone with respect to the "truth" of the Billy the Kid story/legend, it's been years since I did that research but I recall a lot of it.  But it's a Western movie.  So, simply put, I really don't care.  I'll see it as soon as it comes out!  B) 

It is my understanding that they used a lot of the real history in this movie. But they also went off roads with their own story telling at times. 

So bits a pieces of it are based on what really happened. It's something at least.

2 minutes ago, Jess Nicktem, SASS #47284 said:

It is my understanding that they used a lot of the real history in this movie. But they also went off roads with their own story telling at times. 

So bits a pieces of it are based on what really happened. It's something at least.

So I guess it's using the Titanic plot model. A fictional character caught in a historical moment in time.

I received my info from a friend of mine- Mark Lee Gardner- who wrote the book "To Hell on a Fast Horse." Apparently this movie used his book for a lot of their information. 

BTW- it's a great book if anyone wants to know more about Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett. Actually, all of his books are excellent!

46 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Only question is... is any of it going to be true to fact or will it be just yet another completely fictionalized and romanticized version of the Kid?

Edit: I just found out the young boy in the film is a fictional character so I guess I shouldn't hold out too much hope.

I see a couple of scenes showing Billy breaking out of jail and catching the deputy in the street with his own shotgun. So some of it must be.

Looks like something I will have to watch for when it comes to TV    Too cheap to pay for a movie.    GW

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

OMG!!!! A Western movie with fiction in it, the horror!!! News flash....every movie ever made is fictional to some degree, if they weren’t some of them would be pretty boring. Don’t see it if it’s going to disturb your sensitivities about what did and didn’t really happen after all we know that every account of Billy and his life were all 100% correct, right. Sheesh, bitch about something.

It was a decently good movie. 

It's a western. A tad dark, no Val Kilmer-Doc Holliday humor, but well done. 

Too much fiction? I did not see it for a historical reference. 

If movies were done purely on facts and reflected what life was really like no one would watch them.

I don't care about the people making the movies taking liberties. IT"S A WESTERN, By Gawd! :D 

I am thankful they are still being made.

Hell, you want reality? You couldn't even get the reality of the Billy the Kid stories if you went back in time and was there for it. The press and the novelists embellished the hell out of everything anyway.

1 minute ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I like the fact that we are starting to get more modern westerns.... we went through a fairly long dry spell.

Well, with three dozen Marvel comics movies out there, half a dozen Pirates of the Caribbean films, three John Wick movies, several Jurassic Parks, and an endless number of Disney cartoon live-action reboots I'd guess it was about time they re-explored the western genre as well.

1 hour ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I do not understand the fascination with super heroes. Agreed!

Our movie heroes carried guns and shot the bad guys dead, and often were based on real-life people. That's no longer PC. Today's heroes shoot energy bolts out of their hands and can jump hundreds of feet in the air like a flea. And all that combat and total destruction of entire city blocks, yet nobody dies. I can understand 8 year-olds being into that sort of stuff, but good grief give me a dark-themed western or a gritty war film any day of the week.

To paraphrase my earlier post, it's called "historical fiction" for a reason.  Or did anyone here think that the "Tombstone" movie was 100% historically accurate?  Does anyone here really think that Doc Holliday killed Johnny Ringo?  :o:blink:

I always thought that super heroes made great comic book reading.  Of course, I was 12 at the time!  The current super hero movie craze baffles me...........one, maybe two of the genre.  Then you're done.  Dozens of them?  Not for me............  :unsure::ph34r:

Archived