SASS Wire Forum

Lowes vs Home Depot

I'll typically shop Lowes, simply because I only have to show my card and it automatically does the discount. I'll drive down the road to Home Depot if they don't have what I need. The service at both is typically so-so. Having said that, I often find myself going to the local small hardware store, just to support local business.

Hey Cypress Sun, If you know the difference between a hammer and screwdriver they’ll probably make you Hardware manager!!:lol:

We have a great little hardware store here in our little town BUT they don’t carry the finish and sanding materials that I get from HD. Every one of their employees is very well schooled on where things are in the store and they are very eager to help. I went into Tractor Supply the other day for a couple of items and there was not an employee to be found except at the check out and she was busy.

Something to keep in mind on military discount.  Lowe’s gives it on anything in the store including Weber or John Deere products.  Those same products and others are excluded at Home Depot. Lowe’s also picked up the craftsman brand and has all their stuff.  

I ordered 1200 sq feet of tile in January at Lowe’s....needed 400 more and price had dropped .40 per tile.  Lowe’s gave me the difference back on what I had already bought 3 months ago and gave me free delivery on the new order.  

I used to work at Menards way back in the day in Iowa.  Even back then they paid well, 2 bucks an hour more on weekends to a high schooler is a big deal.  Enjoyed my time there, fun people to work with but none where I am at now.

I prefer Lowes. I worked at HD for a month a while back, didnt like it so I took a hike. Lowes has Veteran parking right next to Handicapped.

Imis

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hey Cypress Sun, If you know the difference between a hammer and screwdriver they’ll probably make you Hardware manager!!:lol:

Sure, everyone knows that a screwdriver is what you drink before going to work and hammers come in three different sizes.....Big, Bigger and you'll never get it out Big. I guess I qualify.

I started a construction company when I was 20. I wrote out a list of the items I needed. It was around $8,000.00 worth of ladders, walkboards, tools, etc. I was looking for an item when I came up to an employee of Home Depot. I said, "I have a list here of stuff I need". I didn't get another word out before he said, "you don't expect me to get all that do you?" I said, "no sir, I expect them to get it for me at Lowes". 

Thats where I went and thats where I continue to go about 3 days per week for the last 20+ years.

I have commercial accounts at HD and Lowes. Also, at Menards. I drive by HD in route to work and stop there 2-3 times daily. They know me by name and the manager treats me well. Lowes gets my business if I'm on that side of town. Menards has more stuff and they have good customer service. I'd say small town's probably have better service than more congested areas. If I buy bulk at either store I get special discounts. 

I too use the local hardware store as my first go to stop. The Cornville Mercantile has usually come through for me and as soon as I walk in the door the ladies are asking what I need and what they can do to help.

Home Depot is a about a mile further away than Lowes. Our Home Depot is the smallest one in Texas, so we sometimes miss out on what we need from them. We normally go to HD first, then if they don't have exactly what we want, well venture over to Lowes on the way back home.. Now they just put in a Harbor Freight next to Lowes, so we'll probably stop more at Lowes.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:49 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Its all about the management.  Here Lowes makes you sign up to get a veterans discount. The Home depot will give it to at the register if you show any military ID.

Question for those that have it, is Lowes still requiring you to submitt a copy of your DD-214? I wouldn't get one because the local store wanted a copy of my DD-214. 

They do not. After you're verified at lowes.com/military you can just give your phone number at the register.

Archived