SASS Wire Forum

REAL ID issues...

As usual, the CA government marches to a different drummer. :angry:

I took my Oregon license, my social security card and an INS document that I asked my agency to complete to show proof of residency when I went in for my California Real ID drivers license.

The INS doc is as good as gold with the Feds. I did that because I knew California DMV would muck things up. The lady at the DMV was surprised and wanted to know why I chose that document as I am an American citizen. I told her that the Feds couldn’t argue that document. She laughed and agreed. I didn’t tell her the real reason I got it...I wanted the process to go smoothly. 

42 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As usual, the CA government marches to a different drummer. :angry:

Boy that is the truth...Original birth certificate was not good enough...Had get one of them new models...SS number, long lost card in house...DD214 not good enough...Found some older SS paper work with number and address...He happy...W-2 would also work...Just one problem...New ones only shows last four...Two days after going in for real ID, the DOJ said they would accept my non real DL for firearms purchase...

Texas Lizard

I got a postcard in the mail that it was time to renew my Missouri Driver's License.  I had the option of getting the old type or the new "Real ID" type.  I chose the latter.  I don't like to fly, don't plan to fly, but you never know.

It took about 10 minutes at the Missouri DMV satellite office.  I had to present my birth certificate, Social Security card, and proof of residence.  The reminder post card was acceptable as one, my voter registration card was the other.  $10  and I'm outta there.

Something to be said for living in a redneck state.  B)

Mine won't be so simple.

Mom remarried when I was a tot; last name on my birth certificate is different from the one I've lived my life with.  So, although I am who I am and have always been known by the name I currently use, I first have to go to court to have my name "legally changed" to my name.  

As if that wasn't enough of a hassle, it seems that it's a $105 procedure.  In other states.  In California, it's $435.  Sacramento's unofficial motto is "Anything for a Buck!"  <_<

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Mine won't be so simple.

Mom remarried when I was a tot; last name on my birth certificate is different from the one I've lived my life with.  So, although I am who I am and have always been known by the name I currently use, I first have to go to court to have my name "legally changed" to my name.  

As if that wasn't enough of a hassle, it seems that it's a $105 procedure.  In other states.  In California, it's $435.  Sacramento's unofficial motto is "Anything for a Buck!"  <_<

Do you have a passport?

Oh, yeah, I also produced my birth certificate and my DD-214 for my documents. I forgot about that. They didn’t use the DD-214.

What a lot of people don’t know about the Real ID is this is now necessary because of states like California, North Carolina, Oregon, etc... Passing out Driver’s Licenses to ILLEGAL aliens, immigrants (pick a term). The main word is “illegal”. So yet again, because a certain political mindset, we all have to put up with this horse$#!¥.

I would go on but I promised myself to leave my dial set on simmer...

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In California, it's $435.  Sacramento's unofficial motto is "Anything for a Buck!"  <_<

Did you hear gruesome's latest? They're talking about turning Lombard St. into a toll road! Or maybe make you get a reservation to drive on it!!

People gotta stop asking them if they could be any more stupid, they continue to take that as a challenge.

East Coast Filly has to renew here license this year, we'll have to see how it goes.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Mine won't be so simple.

I had to do that in Illinois when we moved there in 2002 (moved out thank the Lord). My mother married a few times and so I had a few different last names. So most my life I was a certain last name (which I decided to keep) and it had been on my driver's license since I was 16.....moved to Texas in 88....got new license no prob.....moved back to California....got my license no prob....move to Illinois...big prob. Showed my DL and my birth certificate...the clerk said "which last name are you?".....so I had to go to court, petition for a change to my last name (30 days wait) - pay $300 - and they even out it in the local paper in case anyone wanted to contest it, went to court, judge asked my reason for the name change, explained the situation, he said "granted". Man what a process :D ...anyway for my REAL ID in Michigan it was easy: I just brought in my passport - no prob.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

It’ll be interesting to see if the DMV will contact me to satisfy the federal mandates after giving them 4 documents to prove my citizenship. 

I can picture the events in the meeting now (fade to vanilla colored conference room with bad paint but new conference room furniture and the very coolest speaker phone that no one can operate)..,

”But, how are we supposed to determine who did and who didn’t provide the proper documentation?”  (see what I did there? It’s never a bureaucrat’s fault)

”Well, we could go through all the data and make that determination.”

-Collective sigh and much rolling of eyes-

Superior intellect guy speaks up (well, “superior” to DMV standards)

”There is too great a chance for human error” (flashes toothy grin and knowing glance at the DMV standard Hottie) “I think to be safe we should have everyone that received a Real ID provide their documentation again”

DMV standard Hottie nods rapidly as she knows it would be her job to use that keyboard thingie and the screen of boring light to track this information. 

Head Mistress Cratchet speaks up - “Once we start this it must be done right and to appease the workers we will authorize unlimited overtime. These Feds have messed with the wrong group this time. We’ll show them! Because of them our budget will get blown up. I will look into reimbursement but until then let’s get to work...on a side note, we also need to plan the employee of the quarter celebrations so until we get that ironed out the Real ID thing will be on hold.”

DMV standard Hottie speaks “But...what about the overtime?”

Cratchet grumbles and grunts “That’s still a go. We need to get the priority items handled first. By the way, does anyone have an inclusion statement?”

Superior intellect guy pipes up while leering at DMV standard Hottie “We all need to work closely together and promote gender free restroom breaks for all”

“Yay!” DMV standard Hottie squeals while clapping her hands like a trained seal.

Cratchet speaks “Thanks Biff, now, let’s get to work. This is important. This celebration takes precedence over everything else. Glad we had this meeting. Since we met through our 15 minute break everyone may leave an hour early.”

A collective “Thank you Miss Cratchet” goes up.

DMV standard Hottie speaks up “So, is this leaving an hour early just for meeting attendees?”

Cratchet speaks “No, to be fair, put the ‘Computers Down’ signs up on all the doors, run everyone off and we’ll shut this place down now.”

”But, it’s only three o’clock!”

Cratchet looks exasperated “Yes, that’s true...okay. Let’s do this...we have hard work ahead. Go home and get your rest. Oh, should we do a cake again or does anyone have any other ideas?...”

Oh, come on Pat, nobody could collectively be that stupid. Facepalm, myself yes they can. And it aint just PRK. I dont even know what to say to show my utter disdain for those folks.

Imis

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/NEWDL-ID/new-card-compare.aspx

Looks like Ohio had to change because of the new "fed rules"!!!

I thought that maybe it was that they forgot to add the line that says, this card causes cancer in California. 

Lantana Lady and I just got our Real ID's 3 weeks ago. We made an appointment for this, then waited 3 months for it to roll around. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to finish with my appt, and my wife had to get more info and so had to drive home, get the info, and drive back, so it took her more time. It cost us $38 each. The people without appointments had a much longer wait with several complaining loudly that it was their 2nd day trying to get an ID!

Also easily overheard several others arguing with staff over issues concerning the specific documents brought or not brought in order to get their ID's.

I already had one gun shop waffle for 30 minutes because I did not have the Real ID yet, they said how do they know if I was "legal" or not....! They eventually decided "it was not  2020 yet, so go ahead".

I heard last night that Gruesome needs more taxes, $100 million, to yet again fix the DMV. 

The whole thing was a big hassle that should have  never been required if the problems that caused it were addressed earlier in the process!

4 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

I had to do that in Illinois when we moved there in 2002 (moved out thank the Lord). My mother married a few times and so I had a few different last names. So most my life I was a certain last name (which I decided to keep) and it had been on my driver's license since I was 16.....moved to Texas in 88....got new license no prob.....moved back to California....got my license no prob....move to Illinois...big prob. Showed my DL and my birth certificate...the clerk said "which last name are you?".....so I had to go to court, petition for a change to my last name (30 days wait) - pay $300 - and they even out it in the local paper in case anyone wanted to contest it, went to court, judge asked my reason for the name change, explained the situation, he said "granted". Man what a process :D ...anyway for my REAL ID in Michigan it was easy: I just brought in my passport - no prob.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Soooo...your last name is officially Gatlin now? Lol

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Marches to a different kettle of fish.

A different kilo of weed.

Y'all are forgetting Prop 65. Why do you think it passed? Someone realized that "We Todd Did" was normal in the government and they had to act to keep the rest of their brain cells from being affected. :P Their progeny must carry on...

9 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Did you hear gruesome's latest? They're talking about turning Lombard St. into a toll road! Or maybe make you get a reservation to drive on it!!

People gotta stop asking them if they could be any more stupid, they continue to take that as a challenge.

East Coast Filly has to renew here license this year, we'll have to see how it goes.

Reminds me of S F back in the early 80's, I think it was...

People in certain crowded neighborhoods had extreme difficulty finding places to park when they came home from work.  It seems that patrons of businesses and restaurants filled most of the available parking.

The City's solution?  Why... simple!  We'll establish a 2-hour parking limit, then charge residents a $135 annual fee for a sticker (up to four per household) that exempts them from the 2-hour limit!  

So, since virtually all shoppers and restaurant patrons were in and out in under two hours, they were not affected.  Locals could still find no place to park, and the City raked in tons of money.  The perfect administrative solution!  *=)) rolling on the floor

Still in effect today, by the way.  *&lt:-P party  

Well, I obviously live under a rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I never heard the term "Real ID" before and never noticed that my new driver's license has a yellow star on it.  I didn't have to go anywhere to get it, I renewed it on line late last year because the old one was going to expire in March (last month).  I am going to compare the two tonight to see if there is anything different besides the little yellow star.

I can still use my military ID to board planes, too, and it looks nothing like a so-called "Real ID".  I wonder if I should be expecting a new one?

Texas residents will be able to come to a DPS Driver License office with proof of identity, state residency, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S. and obtain a REAL ID license or ID card when DPS begins producing the new REAL ID documents on October 10, 2016.

That did NOT happen.  My last DPS office visit was 6 years ago.

Apparently, showing up in person was never mandatory and the old TDLs were fine:

Under the plan submitted to DHS, DPS will issue REAL ID compliant Driver License and Identification cards: REAL ID DL and ID cards - These cards will be marked with a star and can be used as the sole ID for domestic flights and to access federal buildings. Texans can continue to use their standard licenses until they expire or until October 1, 2020; whichever comes first. Texans can come into any DPS office to get REAL ID licenses, before their current licenses expire. If not already on file, Texans will need to present proof of identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S., and state residency to obtain REAL ID compliant cards. Cost will be the same as current cost for a Driver License or Identification Card.

Operative phrase:  "If not already on file".  If you've been in Texas awhile your information AND photo is digitized and on file.  The sole, significant difference between my LTC and TDL is the little yellow star in the upper right hand corner of the TDL.

I looked it up - the Real ID cards are not totally required - yet:

Until the DHS begins enforcing REAL IDs at US airports, the TSA will continue numerous forms of acceptable ID for air travel within the US, including: ... DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST) U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)Jan 16, 2019

Okay, I can go back under my rock now.............

This would almost be funny except apparently you can wander up from the desert, take a simple test in your native language, and you're granted a driver's license without background verification, and can wander where you will in America. 

But if you were born here, or a naturalized Citizen or Legal Resident, you have to jump through hoops, provide multiple forms of incontrovertible proof of existence and residency, just to be able to fly from one state to another.

Think about that.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, Alpo said:

Five or six points?

Don't humor Alpo by replying to that, he's breaking my chops!  :lol:

Think about it closely.  If you can't figure out the somewhat dark humor, on several levels, let us know.  :D

41 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I wonder if Obama could get a REAL ID.

Oh, sure. He could probably get several under his different names and using his college transcripts, birth certs and Connecticut SSN he’s good for at least 3 of them. :P

On 4/11/2019 at 5:48 AM, Clay Mosby said:

This would almost be funny except apparently you can wander up from the desert, take a simple test in your native language, and you're granted a driver's license without background verification, and can wander where you will in America. 

But if you were born here, or a naturalized Citizen or Legal Resident, you have to jump through hoops, provide multiple forms of incontrovertible proof of existence and residency, just to be able to fly from one state to another.

Think about that.

WHAM! Ladies and Gentlemen, Clay Mosby knocked that one RIGHT OUT of the PARK! 

Look at it go...

I just re-newed mine by mail. I got the old version, I already have a Passport. The last place i want to go to is the DMV.

Archived