SASS Wire Forum

Cost to move a safe

Grizzly Dave

Anyone had it done and can give me an idea what it might cost?

when I got my big steel box many years ago, the basement made sense for it, now I'm wanting it on the main floor.

one flight of stairs, no landing, but a tight turn at the bottom, but hey, it made it down there, should be able to get it back up, right?

just wanting a ball park before I call around.

Thanks

Grizz

There are safe movers that can give a better idea...Should be someone in your area...Did have one moved in garage that was about a $75, if I remember right...It was only moved 5 feet so as to put in another one next to it...

Texas Lizard

Up stairs, I think cost more...

14 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Anyone had it done and can give me an idea what it might cost?

when I got my big steel box many years ago, the basement made sense for it, now I'm wanting it on the main floor.

one flight of stairs, no landing, but a tight turn at the bottom, but hey, it made it down there, should be able to get it back up, right?

just wanting a ball park before I call around.

Thanks

Grizz

When you find someone...You might want to make sure it has nothing inside...Makes the job easier...

Texas Lizard

After thought...

Dave, I had a local lock and key company that also sells and installs safes move mine about 4 years ago and they charged me $175.00 and they bolted it to the floor and wall in the new location. There was a service charge in there because we live in a rural area about 15 miles from their shop. They did a nice job.

Check with some lock shops in your area. Around home here,one of the lock shops has a mechanical battery powered safe mover. It just walks them up or down the stairs

there are several places in the Denver area that I'll check with.

I'm willing to pay to have professionals do it who know what they are doing.

I was thinking it might run $200 or so.

Moved my 24 gun Liberty by myself from the basement up the stairway. Used a block and tackle, anchored it up to the ball on my truck which was at the doorway at the top of the stairway. Just pulled the rope which had 4 pulleys and it went right up the steps without any problems. Did have to pull 4 times the distance of the stairway.  Guns safes are lightweight  compared to money safes. The old money safe I obtained from work after a remodel weighs about 3 times more than the gun safe of comparable size. Once you get the upright just pry it up and you can roll it on a 4 wheel dolly, just place plywood on the floor, it'll roll easily. Better set the safe near an outside wall  or directly over a support beam in your basement or it could cause the floor to sag.

I had my 64 gun 750 lb safe moved into my lower level through the patio door from my trailer. Called my LGS that also sells safes and hired a guy to do it. He did it himself and charged me $150. I was impressed, when he showed up by himself I figured it was going to spend the night outside while he got help, but he got it in by himself.

7 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

I had my 64 gun 750 lb safe moved into my lower level through the patio door from my trailer. Called my LGS that also sells safes and hired a guy to do it. He did it himself and charged me $150. I was impressed, when he showed up by himself I figured it was going to spend the night outside while he got help, but he got it in by himself.

Wow, took three burly college football looking guys to get mine down in to the basement.

I had my dad's safe brought here from his house. It was 135 miles, out his garage door and in my garage and bolted down, $350. All windshield time. I would guess a 100 foot move with stairs might be half of that. it was done by a local safe dealer, lone guy with the right equipment and experience.

Imis

I think you got the number about right - 150-200 bucks.

Sold 7 safes for my move to Colorado cuz the $$$$ to move them woulda been crazy...that and I have a Vault and a Gun Room being built so I don't need them :D

Phantom

Make sure the floor joists under where you plan to put the safe are reinforced, preferably with a jack stand or steel beam.  Safes on the second floor, or first floor if it is above the basement, will stress the floor joists way more than you would think.

What you want is a Safe Rigging company.  They have the tools and the experience to move a safe.
I was able to get 3 Mosler safes from a company I worked for that had downsized.  3 LARGE Mosler safes.  No way I had the truck with life gate to move them.  I called a safe rigger and they moved all thee in one shot.  The cost was $500.  To me well worth it.
You could also think about a piano mover.  Again they should have the equipment to move large heavy items.

For an out of basement move, someone with a stair climber is the hot ticket.  

Basically it's a dolly with an electric jack to climb the stairs.  My safe is 1100#s and was moved by one guy.  

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
21 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

there are several places in the Denver area that I'll check with.

I'm willing to pay to have professionals do it who know what they are doing.

I was thinking it might run $200 or so.

Or you could save money and hire a few guys that are hanging around downtown and save a few bucks.;) you may never see the safe again but you have a few extra dollars that you saved to by a new one.:FlagAm:

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, Assassin said:

Moved my 24 gun Liberty by myself from the basement up the stairway. Used a block and tackle, anchored it up to the ball on my truck which was at the doorway at the top of the stairway. Just pulled the rope which had 4 pulleys and it went right up the steps without any problems. Did have to pull 4 times the distance of the stairway.  Guns safes are lightweight  compared to money safes. The old money safe I obtained from work after a remodel weighs about 3 times more than the gun safe of comparable size. Once you get the upright just pry it up and you can roll it on a 4 wheel dolly, just place plywood on the floor, it'll roll easily. Better set the safe near an outside wall  or directly over a support beam in your basement or it could cause the floor to sag.

Did you include the cost and pain of getting a hernia repaired and/or repairing a slipped disk? :o  I figure sometimes the cost of having a professional do it is well worth it! ;)

I just bought a military grade pallet jack and move any of my five whenever I please.

I had safes moved a few times by a local moving company. Two guys minimum $100 per hour $150 minimum.  Up to 600 lbs. made quick work of it. I could not get anyone to move my larger safe. Called a local that sold safes that had a stair climber. $450. Made me reinforce wood cellar stairs which is something to consider. 

Dang  if you lived closer I'd move it for you grizz. I get talked into moving them for the toy store all the time.   When we bought the farm i sold all but one of mine.  That's for out in the shooting school/office,  I built a vault in the house for the rest. 

Archived