SASS Wire Forum

The evolution of SASS.

20 hours ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Just wondering what EOT and WR was in the 1990's.

There are many descriptions above, of what was done "back then".

Did EOT and WR have the "back then" stages?

If they did , then why did they stop having "back then" stages?

If they did not then it appears to me, EOT and WR were the leaders in where we are today.

I don't recall any of the goofy stuff at WR or EOT in the late 1990's. EOT did have a gallows with a few steps, and kind of a shoot house that you had to navigate through some doors, other than that typical facades. EOT had more more downrange movement, WR was limited due to in-line shooting on the west end. Most of the stick horse and big foam hat stuff was on a monthly club level. I don't miss the goofy stuff, I do miss shooting bows, throwing knives, hawks, and even throwing horse shoes. 

Time is a killer for many of the features we used to deal with, though monthly matches with fewer shooters can still do them. Guns and equipment are better today, added rules have added to the game and there is still something for everyone. I still find some of the best people I know are cowboy shooters. 

Great post Deuce,  I go to the shoots because i enjoy the camraderie, and the people, being around all the pards i have made and shooting my single actions and razzing each other happened in the old days and still happens now, i like the old and the new, the only thing i dont like about the new is missing all the cowboys and cowgirls that are no longer with us, and as stated in a previous post you do make a great ambassador for the sport, ive watched as youve taken our State shoot to where its at, thanks

Some of the things did need changing for practical reasons as well as safety hmmmm time constraints, well ok, everyone was not lucky enough to have a whole day at their disposal on weekends.  But never deny that many of the things that were common, at least in some places,  then had little to do with anything but evolving from the older style towards a speed competition game and the game had to follow very narrow and well defined parameters towards what became the old 10, 10 and 4 complaint.  Many of those things that were commonly written into the monthly match were eroded throughout the nineties and many excuses had little to do with safety concerns,  match times or even whether or not we deleted things due to impracticality.  Though we did have a great deal of membership erosion I still enjoyed the membership and the new style shooting until health problems intervened several years back.  Not all clubs evolved alike and you can find some (I do not know how many) clubs that remained less changed than others.    

Archived