SASS Wire Forum

Race Horses, etc.....

Are Race Horses (Kentucky Derby type) shoed?

TN Williams and I were discussing that the Indians (Native Americans) rode their horses lighter.....absent of a saddle and shoed.

Shoeless horses could possibly run faster without the weight of those horseshoes.    Sooooooooo, the question popped up:

Are race horses shoed or left shoeless for faster speeds?  

..........Widder

Race horses wear shoes.  Shoes help with traction.  A lot of them get freshly shod right before a race, sort of like putting fresh tires on a car.

Breeding, training, and diet have way more impact on the speed of the horse than the weight of a horseshoe.

44 minutes ago, Double Barrel, SASS 34765 said:

I would bet they use aluminum shoes though. They are much lighter.

They do use aluminum shoes most usually rim shoes. When I was shoeing horse all the time, I had the opportunity to work at a race track. There is a lot involved with shoeing race horse or any other kind of horse used for any competition.

Widder just so you know the difference between s wild horse and a domesticated horse hoofs are ( short answer) wild horses have much harder hoofs then domesticated horse.

4 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Widder just so you know the difference between s wild horse and a domesticated horse hoofs are ( short answer) wild horses have much harder hoofs then domesticated horse.

What he said.  Race horses aren't let out of their stalls much either for fear they will hurt themselves.  Horses is really dumbest.  Wild horses and pastured horses don't have as much need for shoes as the hooves wear down on their own.  Shod horses need the shoes pulled from time to time, trim the hooves and re-shod.  If you ride a lot, ride on asphalt, concrete or rocky surfaces a lot, shoe your horses.  If you don't ride much, not a need to shoe them.  At least that was my experience when I had jugheads.  Man are they dumb.  If they aren't dumb, they are mean.

Oddball?

Wanna hear my dog imitation?  Woof woof

Wanna hear my other dog imitation?  Woof woof woof

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.

Archived