SASS Wire Forum

Remember that time 35 years ago...

... you ripped the rim off a case while resizing it, so you went and bought the RCBS stuck case remover and used it that one time... then did it again a couple hours ago... and all you could find was the drill bit and guide... so you went out to the shop to find a 1/4 - 28 bolt... and all you could find was 1/4 - 20... so you had to dig out the tap & die set and thread one... and then drill out a nut to replace the spacer...

... remember that? :angry:B)

20190408_214657.jpg

Guy at LGS in early 70"s recommended motor mica for partial or neck sizing rifle cases.  3rd case stuck!  Back to store to get RCBS stuck case remover.   30 years later was looking at that can of motor mica.    Damn, stuck another case.    Found different use for mica, does not live in reloading room any more       GW

Pepperidge Farm remembers, But I surely don't.

For when you run a case into a sizing die with insufficient lube, then the shell holder tears the rim off trying to pull it out.
Unscrew the decapping rod so it's out of the way (can't get it all the way out with the case stuck in the die), drill a hole through the head of the case, thread it 1/4x28, place the spacer over the head of the case, screw the 1/4x28 bolt with the thrust washers into the head of the case, tighten the bolt and it pulls the case out so ya don't have to throw it through a sheetrock wall and go buy another one. If you make one, use at least a grade 5 bolt, or you'll just twist the head off'n it.

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

What are these stuck case  thingys???? :blink:

Its a tool you will only use once or twice in a lifetime. Exquisitely simple yet it does a job that the other tools in your tool box will never be able to accomplish. 

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Its a tool you will only use once or twice in a lifetime. Exquisitely simple yet it does a job that the other tools in your tool box will never be able to accomplish. 

Actually, I have used mine twice. Then I got a hold of some IMPERIAL SIZING DIE WAX, and that seemed to cure the problem. 

6 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

How do you know it works well?

It works so well I don't have to use it.  If I did not have one then I would need it.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:45 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

For when you run a case into a sizing die with insufficient lube, then the shell holder tears the rim off trying to pull it out.
Unscrew the decapping rod so it's out of the way (can't get it all the way out with the case stuck in the die), drill a hole through the head of the case, thread it 1/4x28, place the spacer over the head of the case, screw the 1/4x28 bolt with the thrust washers into the head of the case, tighten the bolt and it pulls the case out so ya don't have to throw it through a sheetrock wall and go buy another one. If you make one, use at least a grade 5 bolt, or you'll just twist the head off'n it.

And, if you put some lube (grease) on the threads and on the thrust washer it works so good!

Blackfoot

On 4/9/2019 at 5:44 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

+1 Bought the RCBS tool after I spent over an hour digging a stuck 5.56X45 out of a die.  I have never used the RCBS tool.

Archived