SASS Wire Forum

Little Red Wagon Gun Cart?

Howdy

I built my gun cart a bazillion years ago when I first started out. I built it from white ash and I want to tell you it has always been heavy. It has to live in the basement, and even though it is of knock down constructions I am getting real tired of dragging it up the stairs.

Yesterday I saw a cart that had been made from a little red wagon. I liked the fact that it had four wheels, so it would be easy to pull. I'm talking about a wagon like this:

Little%20Red%20Wagon%2001_zpsfjfoecup.jp

Has anybody made a gun cart from one of these little wagons?

Any photos to share?

No, I'm not interested in one of those 3 wheel canvas jobs.

Thanks.

That is what I used when I started...But no sides...Had the off road one, wider tires...FIrst thing I learned was keep long guns in front of back wheels/axle...Too much to back and front end can dance when not loaded...Still using a wagon but moved into a lighter one...Another one you might look at is alumacart out of Florida...I used one of there smaller ones...Just needed something a little lighter...Now have a frame about ten pounds...Yes I do add the parts..For me it is easy...

Texas Lizard

The Cypress Junior  by aluma cart

Not cheap but strong...

My dad, Blue Boy sass46773 started out with a cart made on a nursery cart. He built a box that laid on the cart when not in use. The box would slide to the rear and tilt down for upright long gun storage. The box section was pinned to the frame, the frame was wide so it was pretty stable from tipping. It was, however, heavy. He rolled it up a ramp to load in his pickup. Since he started SASS at age 83 the big cart only lasted a couple of years, he sold the pickup and downsized to a three piece more conventional cart that he could load into a car. Sorry I dont have any pictures, you always post great pix.

Imis

Thanks

I'm considering that one too. More expensive but it looks like better quality. And the steering is better. No Tip. If I can store it under my deck the weight won't be a problem dragging it up the stairs. The only problem is it seems just a tad too narrow to fit my current ammo box into, and I'm getting too lazy to build a new one.

Amish%20Made%20Little%20Red%20Wagon_zpse

Driftwood, see if you can PM Mad Dane.  He uses a wooden little red wagon just like that one but it has wood spoked wagon wheels, probably about 16-18" diameter.  Good lookin' cart.  Maybe Mad Dane can send you some pics.

My first gun cart was my kids little red wagon. I made a wood rack to bolt into it. Used an old picnic basket to put ammo in. It was top heavy and after the 3rd tip over went to something different. 

I know two different shooters who made the wagon carts that you speak of. They were top heavy and prone to tip over on any small hill. Both use something else now.

I used the wagon style for about three years before moving on to a two wheeled cart. I did use scabbards one on each side so not top heavy. I parked in the back of the stage so no issues removing long guns from the scabbards. I switched because the handle was placed where I had to bend over some to pull it and after awhile it bothered my back. Even the two wheel carts can get top heavy. Good luck on your search. 

Archived