SASS Wire Forum

Want to buy a 104 year old HardTack Biscuit?

Sedalia Dave

A century after the Lusitania was sunk by a U-boat, an unusual item from the doomed liner emerges

Now, almost 104 years after the deadly torpedo attack, an extremely rare hardtack ship’s biscuit from one of the ship’s lifeboats is up for auction in the U.K. Made from flour, salt and water, cracker-like hardtack biscuits are designed to be long-lasting, and have historically been a feature of long sea voyages and military campaigns.

“It is believed that there are only two such biscuits in existence,” Aldridge told Fox News, via email, adding that the other biscuit is on display at an Irish museum.

The biscuit has a pre-sale estimate of $3,920 to $6,533.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Wonder how they come up with those numbers? I could see an estimated value of 4,000 to 6500, but 3920 to 6533?

It is likely that the original estimates were in a different currency and then blindly converted to dollars.

then again, the First Law of Accounting applies, never believe a number that ends in zero or five.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well. Of course not, you can only use them once.

I bet that fruit cake puck is still in the Salmon river country were I dumped it. Bigfoot is probably using it as a door stop.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It is likely that the original estimates were in a different currency and then blindly converted to dollars.

then again, the First Law of Accounting applies, never believe a number that ends in zero or five.

That makes sense.

I was thinking, this morning, about gas cans. We, the US, use a five gallon can. Nice easy number to remember, or to do math with. "I've got 30 cans. How much gas is that?" 150 gallons. Simple

In Europe they have a can that is very similar in size. 19 liters. Why 19? Yes, 19 liters is five gallons (and a little more), but it's not like they need to build a same-size can. Why not make a 20 liter can? It's much simpler to count by 20s than by 19s.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

That makes sense.

I was thinking, this morning, about gas cans. We, the US, use a five gallon can. Nice easy number to remember, or to do math with. "I've got 30 cans. How much gas is that?" 150 gallons. Simple

In Europe they have a can that is very similar in size. 19 liters. Why 19? Yes, 19 liters is five gallons (and a little more), but it's not like they need to build a same-size can. Why not make a 20 liter can? It's much simpler to count by 20s than by 19s.

My guess is that the 19 liter can IS a five gallon can. There is no weights and measures law on containers that requires accuracy and truth other than doing what it says.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

In Europe they have a can that is very similar in size. 19 liters. Why 19? Yes, 19 liters is five gallons (and a little more), but it's not like they need to build a same-size can. Why not make a 20 liter can? It's much simpler to count by 20s than by 19s

Because te same factory makes all the cans world wide. We just beat Europe to the punch so the cans are 5 gallons and not 5.28 gallons.

Here lately I have noticed that the small gas cans are now slightly more than 1 gallon. Turns out that they have become 5 liter or 1.3 gallon cans.

Archived