SASS Wire Forum

Henry single shot sass approved?

Razorback Red

I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer. I’d like to order one in brass in .357 if they are approved. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

YES...the rifles are legal.
Ammunition used depends on the type of sidematch:

- Must use a SASS legal single shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-.30).  The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle.  .38 Special is legal. 

PLAINSMAN regs

- “Rifle Caliber” competition rifles must use traditional, period, rimmed cartridges.  No cartridge chambered for use in any SASS approved main match revolver or rifle may be used in the “Rifle Caliber” competition, except the .56-50. 

LONG RANGE regs

REF: SHB pp. 30-31

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. 

I just have to ask the question. "What is this rifle a replica of?"

Snakebite

I have one in 45/70 .

I Have Not got any objections about it yet  .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

15 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. 

I just have to ask the question. "What is this rifle a replica of?"

Snakebite

Given the Handi Rifle is legal, would have to think this one is as well.  

Wesson did make a break breach model in the late 1850s I think.  

I'm not saying it's not legal... just asking. When I wrote and presented  the Long Range rules for approval, I added a category to allow the MD the authority to include guns that did not otherwise meet the standards. The main thought was to allow things like the Martini action, which was certainly period correct, but it didn't have a external hammer, and was not an American design gun. I'm sure that this gun could easily be included in that category if otherwise not allowed. The Handi Rifle was based upon the 1871 H&R. That was the argument for acceptance, and it was approved as such... also, it helped that at the time,  SASS was marketing and selling their SASS Buffalo Classic in 38-55. That was the reason that the .375 was accepted into the Buffalo shoot. We all know that the 38-55 was a target gun, not a Buffalo gun.  I'm sure that the current ROC has indeed looked at this gun and must have approved it. I was just wondering what the basis was.  :unsure:

Snakebite

Just a thought on the caliber. I have two handi rifles, one in .357 and one in 45/70 that I use in plainsman matches. Those little .357/.38 special cartridges are really small to be loading from the belt into a single shot. While I love the .357 and its great fun to shoot, I am able to load much faster and smoother with the 45/70. If I am really concerned about getting a good time I will generally use the 45/70. 

Archived