SASS Wire Forum

Grease or Oil on your '73's?

David Balthazar

Personally, I don't care for grease in any of my SASS guns.  Just Ballistol Oil inside and out for me.

Edit:  Thought I might point out that all my SASS guns are shot with black powder.  For my smokeless guns, I follow the old tried and true method of grease for things that slide and oil for things that roll.

Years of routine.

Uncase rifle. Hold barrel down. Spray elevator and bolt liberally with RemOil bottom and top with and without lever open. Cycle lever slowly about 10 times. Stand in corner barrel down with rag under barrel. This routine also lubes the magazine and spring. Go drink a beer or a Coke. Check rifle. If necessary, wipe off top of elevator. Spray liberally again. Use air compressor to blow excess oil off rifle. Wipe off excess and store barrel down. 

If it slides....grease

If it spins....oil

Basic machine lubrication 101

But just spraying silicone lubeveverywherebis better than nothing. It dries so as to not attracted dust. A spray before every match and your good to go.

Mobile 1 grease for stuff I don't see very often and Ballistol for everything else.

14 minutes ago, Noz said:

Mobile 1 grease for stuff I don't see very often and Ballistol for everything else.

+1 for Mobil 1 grease. I use Mobil 1 oil where you probably use your Ballistol.

I did see an interesting YouTube video on lubing a 73. The author smeared grease on the insides of the cover plate. His theory was the grease on the plate would attract dirt, etc in the gun that would be circulating inside the gun, and keep it (mostly) off the moving parts. I haven't done that yet, was wondering if anyone has and if they noticed any evidence to support or disprove that.

PLUS ONE to Lawdog DD.  Except:  Greasing the inside of the Side Plates to trap the crud circulating inside the gun is ..... silly stupid.  However, I do lightly grease the outside of the links on assembly.  Links "slide" on the side plates.

Well after 5 years I finally had to cut my tube of Mobil-1 grease in half so I can reach the remaining grease.

BTW the reason I had to cut it down after only 5 years is that i recently filled a large pill bottle with some to carry to matches for use on my C&B guns. Otherwise the tube would still be over 2/3rds full.

If not using Ballistol I use 5W20 Mobil 1.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The best gun grease made, is Sta-Lube Engine Assembly Lube.

Has graphite and moly in it.

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/extreme-pressure-engine-assembly-lube-2-75-wt-oz-SL3333.html

OLG

I've been told not to use anything like that to assemble barrels on AR-15 receivers as the graphite will corrode the aluminum. Of course on an 1873 that shouldn't be a problem.

And I'm happy to hear the suggestion on 5w-30 Mobil. I still have a little bit left inside a 5qt. jug from the time I changed the oil in a relative's car, and my own vehicles don't use it. I guess I've got a lifetime supply of gun oil now. ^_^

39 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've been told not to use anything like that to assemble barrels on AR-15 receivers as the graphite will corrode the aluminum. Of course on an 1873 that shouldn't be a problem.

And I'm happy to hear the suggestion on 5w-30 Mobil. I still have a little bit left inside a 5qt. jug from the time I changed the oil in a relative's car, and my own vehicles don't use it. I guess I've got a lifetime supply of gun oil now. ^_^

I only use copper anti-seize for bbl assembly. ;)

I then torque to the low end of the bbl nut specs......

OLG

Wow, I wondered where 'me topic went :ph34r:

A case of abject-boobery on my part--didn't mean it to come to the off-topic saloon, but thanks for the tips, pards!

I have two full containers of Brian Eno's "slide glide," Rand CLP (which ye can practically drink, it is so eco/skin friendly), and some real gun oil (somewhere) recommended by the Dan Wesson guys.

My next deep cleaning of the 1873 will be (again) a 100% takedown.  From there, I will polish what I think needs a-polishing, shim the lever, oil, and grease as directed.

Thank you!

44 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

Wow, I wondered where 'me topic went :ph34r:

A case of abject-boobery on my part--didn't mean it to come to the off-topic saloon, but thanks for the tips, pards!

I have two full containers of Brian Eno's "slide glide," Rand CLP (which ye can practically drink, it is so eco/skin friendly), and some real gun oil (somewhere) recommended by the Dan Wesson guys.

My next deep cleaning of the 1873 will be (again) a 100% takedown.  From there, I will polish what I think needs a-polishing, shim the lever, oil, and grease as directed.

Thank you!

This is the Saloon We are know for staying on topi

SQUIRREL!!!

:P:D

Do you folks actually "clean" the elevator, the elevator recess walls, and lubricate the internals? Do you disassemble the rifle each time? 

Archived