SASS Wire Forum

First Match for my Nephew

Buckaroo Bubba

A few weeks ago my nephew, 12 years old, quizzed me about Cowboy Action Shooting. Just so happened that we had our annual promotional event coming up that next weekend. My wife brought him to the event so I could give him more information about our sport. I spent time showing him our firearms, gave him a shooters book, and had him watch some videos. He was all ready and excited to compete.

So this past Saturday he joined me at Tusco. Now, he was no stranger to firearms, just didn't have that much exposure to Cowboy Guns. I felt comfortable from a Safety point of view with him shooting the guns. He did great. Was extremely safe with the guns and handled everything with ease. He is ready to go again. 

Randy aka "Trigger Happy" (not official alias.. yet.. might be taken)

image.png.30d0f37d1c0179bca5b9150f58b04ffb.png

(Costume Police, I know, this was his first attempt. He just wanted to try it)

I wish more folks could see great kids like this safely enjoying firearms, instead of just preaching, "Bad Gun"....

Hopefully we have another Youngster shooting with us as a regular now!

**Special Thanks to Moosetracks and my Posse for helping with Randy and showing him the ropes**

Hopefully he didn't learn too many bad things from Hooligan Howes, Raging Thunder, and Angie Oakley....:P

Just thought I would share this.

Thanks, Buckaroo Bubba

Picking on Howes seems to come natural at Tusco, Heck even I did and I don't know him well enougsh to know he won't smash my face...

6 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Picking on Howes seems to come natural at Tusco, Heck even I did and I don't know him well enougsh to know he won't smash my face...

He is a big Teddy Bear! He won't hurt you!! 

Thanks for sharing, Bubba.

I'd rather see him wear a ball cap than get burned by a casing that fell behind his glasses. I friend of mine forgot her hat and that happened to her twice. Yeow!

It was his first match. He needs to be welcomed and eased into a comfort level rather than picked at or over-helped. I know a shooter that always overdid the helping with a new shooter. It always gave me the impression he wanted to show off not help. New shooters can only absorb so much. I was probably one of the worst new shooters. I was so nervous I'd forget something that was just told to me. I liked to shoot last for a while. Now, I'd like to be 2nd-4th. I'll even go 1st if no one else wants to do so.

I finally found medication that helped and I gained knowledge, which made me more comfortable.

I am so happy for you, Bubba, to have family shooting with you. I know you well enough to know that you are a great mentor.

Hey! Who is this Teddy Bear, Howes? I need to meet him.

Yup, thanks Allie. I just preached safety to him. Just wanted him to get thru the first one safely. Told him not to worry about speed or misses. Will gradually ease him into other things. I had to do scoring, and other club stuff as well, so my Dad, Moosetracks, helped him quite a bit too. 

Teddy Bear Howes!! Might have to change his alias for him...

@hooligan howes 

He's my buddy!!!

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Hopefully he didn't learn too many bad things from Hooligan Howes, Raging Thunder, and Angie Oakley....:P

I don't know about Raging Thunder, but learning bad things would more likely happen around a campfire with Angie Oakley and Hooligan Howes.  :ph34r::D

9 minutes ago, Ya Big Tree said:

I don't know about Raging Thunder, but learning bad things would more likely happen around a campfire with Angie Oakley and Hooligan Howes.  :ph34r::D

The three of them on the range is bad enough... :ph34r:

Archived