SASS Wire Forum

DIY Forend leather wrap project - video

Warden Callaway

My old wallhanger Winchester 1887 project gun just keeps looking better.  The worst ugly feature remaining is the forend slabs.  The wood is really worn away.  I don't have the inclination right now to replace them.  So I decided to make a leather wrap to cover up the ugly.  I made this one with materials on hand as a working concept.  It worked out well functionally even if it's rather homely.  

I shot the old wallhanger no more in our first match yesterday and the gun worked flawlessly - when I did my part.  The wrap was not just cosmetic.  The heavy leather boot lace provided lots of grip.  The leather protected my hand from the heat of the black powder loads.

I may make new slabs or maybe make a new wrap with better materials.  But this was an easy project with real benefits. 

I took a .223 case and cut the head off with a dremel. 

Chuck into a drill and cut holes for leather lacings. It burnished the edges as it cuts through. 

Hit the case mouth periodically with an inside/outside deburring tool to keep it sharp. 

The cut out bits of leather can be cleaned from the case so the case (cutter) is reusable. 

If you have any .17 caliber casings available you can make even smaller holes, but I don't find the .223 holes to be too big. 

I’m thinking I might do something like that on my PW87 along with a matching butt cover. 

10 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I took a .223 case and cut the head off with a dremel. 

Chuck into a drill and cut holes for leather lacings. It burnished the edges as it cuts through. 

Hit the case mouth periodically with an inside/outside deburring tool to keep it sharp. 

The cut out bits of leather can be cleaned from the case so the case (cutter) is reusable. 

If you have any .17 caliber casings available you can make even smaller holes, but I don't find the .223 holes to be too big. 

I have used cases to cut felt wads before.   But now I have a set of hole punches. 

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Great video and TNX :excl:

You may find that the 'sleeve' will slide in recoil.

Please keep us updated.

OLG

I shot it yesterday in a match and it slipped maybe 1/16".  But I'm not thinking from recoil but from carrying it from cart to loading table,  stage, unloading table then back to cart. 

When I got home, before I cleaned it with hot water, I slipped it off.  It took some twisting and some effort to get it started moving but not a big deal.  Sliding it back on was no problem. The leather lace is somewhat stretchy as is the leather. The back side of the leather is like suede leather so it clings well. 

If I were to use regular leather like belts and holsters are made,  I don't think I'd need the folded over edge or the eyelets.  But this thin leather has the advantage of not being visible when looking down the sight.

• 1 month later...

I vaguely remembered something about fore end wraps not being/being allowed.

Maybe it would be more than vague if someone could explain why the first (what Warden is doing) is legal and it is not legal on pumps or any rifle.

Can anyone help?

"-A slide on leather cover to protect the offhand from barrel heat or as a repair is allowed on side by side, lever action, and single shot shotguns.

- Leather on the grip surface of the fore end of a pump shotgun or any rifle is not allowed."

3 hours ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

Warden, what is the size of your template?

I'm pretty sure I trashed the template after the video.  

Allie Mo...  I am easaly confused but many of the rules don't make a lot of sense to me.  As far as a pump,  I  can't see how you could wrap the leather around the forend and barrel and still have it function.  You'd have to somehow affix it to the wood handle on the pump.  It wouldn't have any use as a heat shield.   Rifles?   I guess they had to draw the line someplace. 

A leather wrap is a comfort when shooting black powder loads is shotguns.  They get really hot. 

Archived