SASS Wire Forum

1873 or Marlin in 45 Colt

Smokey Burns

Howdy!

I'm returning to CAS after a romance with double action revolvers.   After 2 matches shooting Wild Bunch, I've realized my '92, as worn in and reliable as it is, has a big lever throw and is costing me time.   I'm uncertain if I need an Uberti '73 or a Marlin.  I'm going to concentrate on Wild Bunch for know, so if I go with a '73 I'm considering having it converted to 45 ACP for ammo parity.  Actually, if I shoot revo's, I'll just use my 45 acp cylinders. 

Which is a quicker rifle out of the box?  I see most folks shooting '73's so I'm assuming they can be raced up pretty well.  In short, should I pick up a '73 or a marlin?

Appreciate any input!

Smokey Burns

Abe E.S. ,

The marlin 45 colt could not be converted (though for $1500 a .357 marlin could be).  If one had to choose between running a short stroked '73 or a short stroked marlin in 45 Colt, which would you choose?

The 45 acp conversion is a thought, but a good, quick, slick and rock solid rifle in 45 caliber is the first threshold to cross.  

Thank you, SIr!

Smokey Burns

I have had a couple of Marlins in 357 and 45 (still have one in 45) and currently have a couple of 73's (one Uberti, one Cimarron both in 357) . Marlins and 73's are both  great rifles.  I rarely have problems with either, but do have to work on the 73s a little more often than the Marlins. The Marlin can generally be had a little cheaper. I have worked on and slicked up both. In my opinion the 73 is a little easier to work on.  I can get my 73's to run slicker and faster than the Marlins. If I were to have just one, I would keep my 73 (and I would take the Uberti over the Cimarron). 

I started in the CAS game a little less than a year ago. My first rifle was a Marlin in .44 Mag because I already had it. It was a good rifle but had the usual Marlin quirks. I just switched to a Uberti '73 and am much happier with it.

From shooting with the very top shooters in Wild Bunch for several years,  there are few Marlins in the game, because short stroking is so hard to get done.   And quality of new made by Remington is still a gamble.; old JM Marlins are few and far between.  If you want a CLEAN shooting gun, think of a 73 in .44-40.  

I find a .45 Auto rechamber of a 73 to be mostly a waste of money, when I know how to load a .45 Colt so it will shoot clean and not too far above minimum power factor.   In a 73, the .45 Auto doesn't give you a shorter stroke than .45 Colt.  If you REALLY don't want to load one more cartridge (you want to load .45 auto for both) - Well, that will come with a big price for a gun conversion.

Yes, the 73 can be slicked up to be very fast.  But that won't begin to win anything in Wild Bunch.   WB is a pistol and mag changing game. 

Good luck, GJ

the marlin is much stronger,  and slicked up easily,,  I find the sights easily too

the Marlin CAN be converted to run 45ACP... not as well as an 1873 can be converted.  Several shooters in our neck of the woods have converted their 45Colt 1873s to run ACP... it takes the Cowboy45Special carrier and setting the barrel back so the cartridge headspaces on the front of the chamber...  I converted my Marlin to run the C45S, by simply changing the timing on the carrier as per Widowmaker Hill's instructions.   http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Widdermajic_Marlin.htm

Archived